Confused about the Statistics Masters course that is not an MA/MS program!!

wheelz

Hi Everyone,

I intend to apply for Masters in Statistics at some good places in USA..

I realized that many universities offer 1 year programs viz.

1. Masters in Professional studies- Cornell University

2. Master of Statistical Practice program-CMU

3. MSE (MA is also mentioned but not sure  :unsure: )- JHU

4. MS in Advanced Methods and Data Analysis (by dept of statistics)- University of Washington

As per my understanding, the mentioned colleges have good statistics programs. However, the courses sound strange to me!!

What is taught in these programs? How different are they from the regular MA/MS programs?

Request you to share some of your insights for these courses.

Regards

If these programs do not require a one-year sequence in Casella-Berger probability/inference, regression, design of experiments, statistical computing, and linear models (at the minimum), then they would probably not be on the same level as other MS programs in Statistics, imho. I would look into MS programs that specifically have the requirements I listed... although I am not sure if a Data analysis or "statistical practice" program constitutes statistics? These might be something totally different.

The UW program is a normal MS in statistics program with a funny name. It takes a little under two years (5 quarters, no classes in the summer) and covers Casella and Berger theory, experimental design, regression analysis, statistical computing, GLMs/GEEs/mixed effect models, categorical data analysis, plus whatever electives you take (e.g. nonparametric regression, stochastic processes, statistical learning, causal inference, hierarchical models, social network analysis, time series). Both master's and PhD students take these courses along with biostatistics PhD students (and biostat master's students in the theory course). About 20 students have entered the stat MS program each year for the past two years.