MS/MA Stats Program Profile

Casteless

Hey Everyone,

So my profile is not going to be anywhere near as shiny as most of yours are but i was looking for some advice anyway. My end goal is to apply to a Natural Resource or Energy Economics PhD program, but since my GPA as you will soon see, is rather unimpressive, I decided to go for a MS/MA in statistic first. 

My Profile

Cumulative GPA: 2.85

Last 60 GPA: 3.45

Math Coursework

Calculus 1,2,3: B,B,A

Linear Algebra: A

foundations for Theoretical Math: B

Number Systems: C+

Real Analysis: B+

Intro to Statistics: A

Econometrics: A-

I plan to take Math stats, Dq, and another upper division math course next semester ( My school does not have a stats program :/ )

I completed a one year internship in the oil/energy industry working with real time pricing for energy markets (Math/stats based)

I am working with two professors at my school ( as an independent study over multiple semesters) on a study, (Descriptive, regression, Factor Analysis, ANOVA)  [Econometrics & Psychometrics]

I've taken several Practive GRE's and my Quant scores range from 163-167, and my verbal from 156-163.

SO, with all of this considered, do i have a shot at a masters program in statistics? If so what tier schools should i be looking at? Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Aside from the GPA, your profile looks good, IMO, but I'm just an applicant now as well so my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight.  Unfortunately, the cumulative GPA does look like a bit of a draw back, but I think if you can get some good recs from professors who think highly of you to alleviate some concerns that would help.  Definitely address the GPA in your SOP, and try to explain why you're now in a good position to excel in the particular program.  I would say you should be able to get into some lower ranked programs, maybe mid level ones but I probably wouldn't pay for apps to high ranked programs if I were you.

I agree about the GPA, but I guess if you're coming from a program known for grade deflation like U Chicago, it might be overlooked. Otherwise, that's a tough weight against you.