Is applying to Developmental Ph.D. programs worth my while?

hitdoggie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am looking at applying to Ph.D programs for Developmental Psychology. I am hesitant about whether this December is the time to apply because of my stats.

Stats;

Undergrad GPA- 3.6-3.7

Psych GPA- 3.8-3.9

GRE- studying like mad for the October

Research- I started working in a Developmental lab the beginning of last semester. I go to a small school with one professor who specializes in the field. I hit the research at a down time. However, I believe I made up for it because I was awarded my University's only Fellowship for Undergraduate research. As a result I am being funded by the university for a project, and being paid to see my proposal through to completion. It sounds small, but it is a huge deal for me. By December I will have 4 semesters of research, most of which will be pertaining to my own project. The professor who is advising me thinks it has a legitimate shot at publication, but by application time (hopefully) the manuscript will be underway. I also will have a presentation under my belt.

Work- I have funded my undergrad by teaching children private music.

LOM- Here is where I am worried. I feel like I can get one really good LOM from a professor, a really great letter from a parent of a child I have taught (if it counts) and a medicore (this kid was a TA for me) LOM from a second professor. I have heard various things about how much this matters. What I have been told is that one of these letters from a professor better shine.

Thanks for advice.

**I'm really not interested in a master's.

LOM- Here is where I am worried. I feel like I can get one really good LOM from a professor, a really great letter from a parent of a child I have taught (if it counts) and a medicore (this kid was a TA for me) LOM from a second professor. I have heard various things about how much this matters. What I have been told is that one of these letters from a professor better shine.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that letter from a parent is going to count for absolutely nothing. If you're applying for a PhD, then the admissions people care that you can do good research and are a good student. Only professors (and to a very small extent, depending on your field, employers) can comment on your potential for a graduate program. You really, really, really need to get a third letter from someone in academia, or at the very least an employer or manager at some relevant job, i.e. a place where you helped do research. That letter from a parent is not going to cut it.

Besides that, you look like you're in good shape. I think your amount of research is good, you just need to get solid letters from faculty!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for your advice. I have decided that waiting the extra year to solidify 2 more glowing LORs, and the extra year of research, would make my reach schools a little more obtainable-and put me in a position where I can decided from more than one or two potential acceptances.