Conflict of Interest?

GreenePony

DH thinks I'm over-thinking this and it's a non-issue but anyway...

I have a second interview with an organization that just hired a close friend for a position that works closely with the position I'm interviewing for. This should be an asset practically speaking, since we know we can work well together. While they should realize we know each other from our resumes, neither of us have had a chance to let the administration know that this is the case. They seem to typically have the entire staff sit in on part of the second interview, so she'll be there when I interview. Is this a conflict of interest? Should I let the admin know ahead of time? I'm sure it will come up in the interview, at the very least "Greene, this is so-and-so" "We've known each other since our first day of college"

(Just to clarify, we applied for our positions at the same time, I didn't apply because I'd be working with a friend, they just got to her position first)

In my opinion, I feel like the onus to report this potential conflict of interest is on your friend, not on you. But you can bring it up during introductions etc in the interviews if you'd like, since it might look weird later if you pretended to not know each other at interview stage. 

I would ask your friend to tell them she knows you. She has control over recusing herself from an interview if the organization considers it a conflict of interest whereas you only have the control of showing up for your interview.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems a little strange for them to have her be part of the interview process if she just got there.

I think that presenting this information as soon as possible makes you look like a good communicator who is honest (helping you secure the position, most likely).

If it's likely to come up anyway, there's no reason to be passive about it. That passivity could cost you "brownie points" when the hiring decision is being made. Good luck!