Get to know about one's future fellows?

niocwacs

I've been desperately trying to find anybody who's been admitted to the same program of the same uni but never succeeded. The other school that had offered me admission before I accepted the offer from the school mentioned above took an interesting step to help me 'make myself at home'. It was like in early April when they told me about other students that were admitted to the same program as me. It was nice to find out who those people were and what their scientific fields were and what activities they were engaged, too, even though the descriptions were rather short. It just occurred to me that I might ask somebody, like the graduate program coordinator or a person who holds a similar position, for some information about my future fellow students. I might even go as far as to asking for their emails...

Do you think it would be `normal` thing to do? I mean, don't you think it would make them think of me as of an 'intruder'? I'm a foreigner, I'm not used to the customs in the academia in the US and I don't mean to intrude.

A couple of weeks ago the curiosity got the better of me so I looked up some old emails from the grad secretary and found one that was sent to everyone in the incoming class. I think it was about housing or some such. I just googled every name on it (it didn't help much...no one bothered to set up a personal website. But the email addresses did tell me where everyone was from and I searched google images to find out if weird looking names were of guys or girls. It seems I'm the only girl in my class. sigh ).

Also, my DGS has offered to give me some of my cohorts' email addresses and put me in touch with them, since she knew I was looking for someone to share an apartment with. No one seemed to think I was "intruding" on anything.

What key words am I supposed to put in there?

"Hogwarts University, Black Magic Graduate Program, newly admitted in 2009"?

I doubt there'd be any result. You need to know at least the name of a person you're looking for.

The question was whether moral considerations should or should not stop me from asking for people's email addresses.

I don't think it's immoral, but if I got cold e-mails from future cohort-mates that I didn't know, I would likely be more annoyed than intrigued. Don't get me wrong- I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall- but it's still only June, and mass conversations get unwieldly and inbox-clogging on e-mail. Why not set up a facebook group, and then ask the graduate secretary if she'd be willing to e-mail out the link to everyone? That way, people can opt in or out of the discussion, and you're keeping it in a cleaner spot for group discussion.

I'd certainly be of the same opinion if I were American. I bet you are one. I'm not trying to accuse you of hostility, but still international students' thoughts are more like "It's ALREADY June and I don't have anybody to discuss and share my fears with". Perhaps `fears` is not the right word, but I'm sure you got me.

As are many mathematicians I'm not very sociable and perfectly enjoy spending time all by myself unless I have doubts I can handle any possible problems. In this situation there's one big problem: I have no way to predict or imagine what problems I'll have to deal with. That makes me `eager` to start correspondence with my cohort-mates.

Thanks for the idea of starting a group on Facebook. I'm not much intro social networks, but I'll give it a try.

I'd certainly be of the same opinion if I were American. I bet you are one.

Canadian, actually. But I'm going to a school in a city I'm very familiar with and used to live, so I can definitely see how my experience is very different from an international student with more unknowns in play.

I'm not trying to accuse you of hostility, but still international students' thoughts are more like "It's ALREADY June and I don't have anybody to discuss and share my fears with". Perhaps `fears` is not the right word, but I'm sure you got me.

As are many mathematicians I'm not very sociable and perfectly enjoy spending time all by myself unless I have doubts I can handle any possible problems. In this situation there's one big problem: I have no way to predict or imagine what problems I'll have to deal with. That makes me `eager` to start correspondence with my cohort-mates.

That sounds like a very reasonable reaction to the stress and excitement of starting a new program in a new place. Just keep in mind that if others seem less eager, it may be because they don't share your experience or anxiety, not that they are uniterested in being your colleague.

Thanks for the idea of starting a group on Facebook. I'm not much intro social networks, but I'll give it a try.

Hope it works out. Good luck with your transition and your grad school career!

I swear this is innocent, I just have a talent for finding things on google.

Google the name of the school + the department + incoming student or year level + 2009 + blog

You might get some really interesting results, of people who applied and got in (or not) to the department.

Now, if you want to contact them from there though, that would be creepy.

Stalk much?

I think you need to have a little fun over the summer and forget about science (and scientists!) for a while. Go camping with some non-academics. Have a few parties at your place. Put away the human hair dolls and go get some fresh air. =)

Stalk much?

I think you need to have a little fun over the summer and forget about science (and scientists!) for a while. Go camping with some non-academics. Have a few parties at your place. Put away the human hair dolls and go get some fresh air. =)

I'm actually spending at least six hours a day revising my undergraduate courses as part of preparation for preliminary examinations.