HKS optional essay

gradjm

In the HKS MPP/MPA application can the only optional essay be about diversity/personal story/addendum not related to academic matters?

(Optional) If you have any concerns about your prior academic background, or if you believe the Admissions Committee may have concerns, please give a brief explanation of your performance in college, or your standardized test scores (750 word limit).

The essay wording is confusing as it only seems to refer to "concerns about prior academic background" and word limit is pretty generous (750 words) for such an addendum. There is no essay in the application that deals with personal/diversity story. How are other applicants doing this?

Also, is it possible to make a switch from MPP to MPA program after acceptance or enrollment?

Your personal story is what you write about in your statement of purpose.  

The optional essay is for explaining more about issues with your educational background, just as the instructions say.  They give you a long word limit because some people have very complicated academic circumstances and they need room to explain.  For example, I didn't have a lot of quant classes on my transcript, and I had a couple of places where my academic performance was not outstanding (including one course where I just flat out failed).  The optional essay gave me some space to talk about both of those things.  Some people have periods of poor academic experience because of medical problems or family issues, or they have some kind of disciplinary action that they want to explain more fully. That's what the optional essay is for.  

The phrasing of optional essay question suggests that it be used only to explain the acadmic issues. I think there is a blog post by admissions office HKS that says that this spacee can be used to explain "anything" not covered in the other parts of the app. Anyone else unsure about this?

The HKS app actually has no essay that is exclusively a "personal statement." There are 2 required essays for MPP, one asking specifically about future plans and the second asking specifically about how the program helps achieve the plans. So no space dedicated specifically to "personal" statement. I have used a significant part of these 2 req essays to talk about personal things, but still much is left out. So I want to use the optional essay to talk about some personal stories. Any current HKS student/admit/applicant who is running into the same issues?

If there is any accepted HKS admit or HKS student who can look over my essays/goals, then can you please pm?

*please do'nt quote post

You'll have to do what you think is best, but a generally speaking the number 1 thing admissions officers tell students to do is "follow the instructions on the application."   If you're still unsure, you can also email the HKS admissions office and ask if it's OK to use the optional essay for additional personal stories. 

The short answer is this:

Do not use your optional essay to discuss additional personal stories or accomplishments.

The optional essay is not a place to introduce new content related to your goals, why you want to go to HKS, etc.

Here are the kinds of topics I recommend people cover in the optional essay:

• a low GPA (e.g. under 3.6)
  • a low test score
  • lack of work experience
  • gaps in employment

Thanks for the replies.

The blog post is not wholly clear.

http://hksadmissionblog.tumblr.com/post/101652545567/2014-essay-notes-post-6

Essay 1 on the application has generated some interest as of late in our communications with applicants. The essay 1 instructions state:

(Optional)
If you have any concerns about your prior academic background, or if you believe the Admissions Committee may have concerns, please give a brief explanation of your performance in college, or your standardized test scores (750 word limit).

Looking at the referenced blog post above, the optional question is reproduced here.

Second, although the essay prompt specifically refers to academic background and test scores, applicants can include other information helpful for the committee to consider. If you feel like there is something about you the committee should be aware of that is not reflected or clear in another part of the application, this information can be included in Essay 1.

The post says that applicants can include "other information helpful for the committee to consider." It makes one think  any unusual background history that doesn't relate to academic performance, work gaps, low scores etc can be included here. This seems to mean that it can include some diversity explanation/essay/story.

Third, you should absolutely not use this optional essay to give us “just another essay.”  This space is not meant for a supplemental essay of any sort. The Admissions Committee frowns on applicants who upload a response that is obviously not related to the content we are seeking in this question (clarity on something pertaining to your background).  

But the later part of the blog post says that this is not an essay, but more of clarity on something committee may have questions about or be confused about. See the bolded part in the post that says it can't be a supplemental essay of ANY sort.

In sum, if you feel the Admissions Committee might have questions about a particular aspect of your history or may be confused by some information in your application, it would be appropriate to address such information in this optional essay.

Isn't 750 word limit way too much if the space is meant for a simple clarification or even a few clarifications, as oppposed to just one?

There is no question in the application for space to discuss unusual background. What about particular historical aspects that committee may not be confused about but are important?

Can the aspects of one's history e.g. diversity information/unusual background that committee may not be confused or have questions about just because the application did have any information related to that aspect, be included in the optional answer?

Edited by gradjm

• 3 weeks later...