Contacting Professors

InUtero1994

Thanks for the response. I sent V an email. I have more questions, but I think these are easier. :)

So I think K is a really good match for me, and I want to try my very best to be accepted to his university and subsequently work with him. Many people here suggest emailing POIs for an increased chance of success, so that is what I plan to do.

But the question is: when? I haven't yet submitted my application (the deadline is Jan 15th). Is it better to contact him before I submit my application or after? I'm fairly confident he will take new student(s), but I'm not totally sure. And I'm applying to the school anyway because I have other professors in mind.

Thanks again.

Edited by Yobatef

But the question is: when? I haven't yet submitted my application (the deadline is Jan 15th). Is it better to contact him before I submit my application or after? I'm fairly confident he will take new student(s), but I'm not totally sure. And I'm applying to the school anyway because I have other professors in mind.

If you want to work with a particular professor, you need to contact him before you apply- not after. Even if you have other professors in mind, you don't know if they'll be taking students either, unless you ask. That deadline is quickly approaching, so I would e-mail asap keeping in mind that this is a time when professors may take longer to respond to e-mails than normal.

• 5 months later...

I got RA offer from my POI for fall 2015 but to complete my ongoing M.Sc., I deferred my admission to spring 2016. My professor allowed me to defer. Now, I am confused about how I should keep contact with him. I would appreciate any valuable advice.