Some questions before pursuing a PhD ...

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and in some ways the doctoral-level admissions process. I want to explain a little bit about my background and ask a few questions. Hopefully I can avoid being too verbose and maybe some of you will be able to help!

I received my B.A. in mass communication (3.65 GPA, 3.85 in the major + honors diploma) M.A. in communication (3.95 GPA) from one of the stronger mass comm. programs (according to the various rankings) along with my master's of public policy (MPP). It was a three year combined program. I decided in order to further my professional and academic goals, it made the most sense to work a few years before possibly pursuing the PhD. I do not think I had the maturity a few years ago to take the next step. I also think working "in the field" so to speak, will make me a better researcher and teacher.

So now I am starting to consider returning for the doctorate. I plan on spending the next year making a final decision: to pursue academia (the new, positive tenure data helps!) or continue in my growing professional career. And that is what brings me to this forum. Doing my due diligence, I suppose. So a few questions that hopefully one or more of you may be able to answer. Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

1. My particular area of research is not well studied, which seems like a catch 22: on one hand, it means my focus is ripe for study and it is easy to explain my research interests. On the other hand, since it is not well studied, I find there is no direct faculty at any school who have a specific background in my particular focus. There are some with broadly similar backgrounds (e.g. political communication) and could probably do a fine job advising me, but I worry it will hurt my ability to secure a spot at my preferred programs. Should I be worried?

2. On that line of thinking, how do I assess "fit" within a program? The emails sent to faculty asking about their research and ability to take on prospective doctoral students? 

3. In my M.A. program, I completed a thesis, assisted a professor with an introductory course (I taught 2x/week), and completed an independent research project, along with my courses in both communication and public policy. I was also the editor of a journal in my public policy program. In undergrad, I also completed a thesis and several faculty-led independent research projects. However, I have no direct publications. I also have not presented academic research at a conference. How big of a mark will this be on my application? Truth be told, I was very busy trying to combine two graduate degrees into one program and at some points felt a professional career would be more ideal than an academic one. Therefore at the time I was not as concerned about publishing and presenting research.

4. For doctoral program admissions, will having relevant professional work experience and another (also relevant) graduate degree be seen as a positive?

5. Finally: what separates students who get into the top programs from the rest of the pack? I am sure many students have strong grades, GRE scores, references, and statements of purpose. What differentiates the applicants?

These are my major questions for now. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

1. You want to have your own area of focus and not be too similar to an advisor. If you can work within the constraints of political comm (my area, btw ;) ) then you should be fine. I know that my program expects that students will have fairly broad interests or shift from one interest to another, so as long as you aren't focused on rhetoric you'd be fine to apply here. Others may have different policies.

2. For fit, it really depends. I'd say for one you want to attend NCA and meet grad students/faculty from programs you're interested in if at all possible. Look at faculty info at the schools you're interested in, but keep in mind that someone who may not interest you may end up being a great fit or vice versa. I adore my advisor, but I never ever considered her when I looked at schools. Read work by faculty you might want to work with. You can send emails - having an in-the-program advocate is a good thing - but don't worry too much about it. Also, talk to grad students about their experiences. In my program it is rare for a faculty member not to be your advisor if after your first few months in the program you decide they are the best fit for you.

3. It depends on the program. I have an MS in Emergency Management and zero publications. I've never attended a conference, although I will be at NCA this year. Lack of publication did not hurt me.

4. It depends on the program. It isn't a bad thing, but some programs are more worried about research than experience, while others care more about experience than research.

5. For most programs I think it matters more that you explain how that specific program is the best fit for you.