Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

I received an invite to EdD weekend yesterday. I truly couldn't believe it! Anyway, maybe master's degree news is next? Good luck to everyone!

I am so happy for you! Congratulations!!! :)

I received an invite to EdD weekend yesterday. I truly couldn't believe it! Anyway, maybe master's degree news is next? Good luck to everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!! :) When is it?

Still no news on my end (now on week 8 of the 4-6 week turnaround).

CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!! :) When is it?

Still no news on my end (now on week 8 of the 4-6 week turnaround).

I'm so sorry you haven't heard back, yet.  I still haven't seen any master's posts on the results page, so I think you are in good company.  Perhaps now that invitations have been sent to the doctoral candidates, the admissions committee will have time to get to the master's applications.

The EdD weekend is February 20-21.  :)

In case anyone is wondering.... They sent me an email today

"I’m writing to update you on the status of your application to the Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) M.S.Ed. program for Fall 2015 here at Penn GSE.  I want to assure that we have received your application and that it is currently under review with the TESOL faculty.  While it has been taking us a bit longer than usual to send out decisions this year (due to some major changes in our application system), we do value your application and hope to have a response to you very soon.  Trust me: we haven’t forgotten about you (and we certainly hope you haven’t forgotten about us)!"

The application process could be a bit slower than other years.. 

Is anyone else joining the IEDP google hangout tomorrow? I read about it on this student's blog, and I would love to attend but will be in a lunch meeting. If anyone is able to attend and share their notes, I'd be super interested + appreciative!

Today I got an email from them. I applied for MsEd-TESOL but they think that Intercultural Communications is more appropriate for me. Kinda strange but I didn't want to argue with them. I let them consider me for the ICC program. For programs with rolling admission, I think they are about to release the first pool of admits.

MsED Tesol is probably way more useful, especially abroad, but oh well. I think I'm headed to Indiana University with TAship anyway. Not going to be paying 30~40k/year when I can get paid at Indiana

Accepted!!! I am so happy and relieved! :)

Today I got an email from them. I applied for MsEd-TESOL but they think that Intercultural Communications is more appropriate for me. Kinda strange but I didn't want to argue with them. I let them consider me for the ICC program. For programs with rolling admission, I think they are about to release the first pool of admits.

MsED Tesol is probably way more useful, especially abroad, but oh well. I think I'm headed to Indiana University with TAship anyway. Not going to be paying 30~40k/year when I can get paid at Indiana

ICC is the program I was just accepted to.  What is your background/why did you apply for TESOL?

ICC is the program I was just accepted to.  What is your background/why did you apply for TESOL?

CONGRATS!!!! Glad you heard back, especially since you had applied so early in the year. Did you get a call or an email? Very happy for you!! 

So far, my background has been music teaching... Been teaching undergraduate music curriculum in past two years. But I don't think college teaching is right for me. Looking for something new.. I think because I've taught music, I think they want me to look at all the elements in intercultural communication, including culture (music), language, etc, instead of looking just at language (TESOL). I keep thinking TESOL would be more useful than ICC.. but I could be wrong. Meh.

WOOHOO!!! I KNEW it would be good news! So very, very happy for you!!!

Thank you so much!  Your support was invaluable :)

So far, my background has been music teaching... Been teaching undergraduate music curriculum in past two years. But I don't think college teaching is right for me. Looking for something new.. I think because I've taught music, I think they want me to look at all the elements in intercultural communication, including culture (music), language, etc, instead of looking just at language (TESOL). I keep thinking TESOL would be more useful than ICC.. but I could be wrong. Meh.

Hmm, interesting...well as far as I know, the two programs are very similar and have similar classes.  Of course, you don't get any kind of certification with ICC as far as teaching English is concerned.  I'm sorry to hear that it didn't end up how you wanted!  But at least you have other options.