Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

Hello everyone! I received my acceptance and scholarship to Penn MSEd in Higher Education and am very excited for this offer and opportunity to attend Penn. For all others also interested in Higher Ed, I was hoping to get some feedback or honest opinions of some of the other schools that I am also considering. I was rejected from Stanford, accepted to BC, and am still waiting to hear back from Harvard and NYU. However, aside from Penn and Harvard (fingers crossed), the only two other schools that I am seriously considering are:

UCLA GSE&IS: Higher Education & Organizational Change (M.A.)

USC-Rossier: Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs (MEd)

I have been accepted into both, but would love to hear some thoughts on these schools/programs from other people who are interested in higher education. Please feel free to give any and all opinions on the programs and/or school. 

Thank you so much in advance and congratulations to everyone on their acceptances and various other achievements! 

Hello everyone! I received my acceptance and scholarship to Penn MSEd in Higher Education and am very excited for this offer and opportunity to attend Penn. For all others also interested in Higher Ed, I was hoping to get some feedback or honest opinions of some of the other schools that I am also considering. I was rejected from Stanford, accepted to BC, and am still waiting to hear back from Harvard and NYU. However, aside from Penn and Harvard (fingers crossed), the only two other schools that I am seriously considering are:

UCLA GSE&IS: Higher Education & Organizational Change (M.A.)

USC-Rossier: Postsecondary Administration and Student Affairs (MEd)

I have been accepted into both, but would love to hear some thoughts on these schools/programs from other people who are interested in higher education. Please feel free to give any and all opinions on the programs and/or school. 

Thank you so much in advance and congratulations to everyone on their acceptances and various other achievements! 

Congrats! 

I also got into Rossier (PASA) and University of Washington (Higher Ed Leadership), but am seriously leaning towards Penn at this point. 

I am heavily weighing overall cost, cost of living and prestige. I got a 10k scholarship offer from Penn, no word on funding for any of the other schools I applied to at this point. In addition, my fiancee has a teaching job offer in Philly for 42k/year that should seriously help cover our living expenses while I am in the program. 

Edited by SA_Hopeful

Hi guys! I was just accepted to the Higher Ed program and am trying to decide between Penn and UVa. Penn is nearly triple the cost of UVa. I'm wondering if you all think the value (perception) of an Ivy education is worth the price tag. I'm not trying to start a debate, just an honest question. There will be so many more barriers to going to Penn, that I'm curious if it would be worth it just based on reputation. Secondly, I went to UVa as an undergrad and am wondering if getting my BA and M.Ed. from the same place will have an impliciations when I apply for a PhD program? This is such a hard decision for me, so any input will be helpful! Thank you and congratulations to everyone accepted!!

the popular wisdom is that if you don't have to pay for a master's program, don't, and if you do have to pay, minimize your debt. especially if you're considering a PhD, you really don't want to be saddled with tons of debt from a master's program. if you're in a position to finance the degree without going into debt, then perhaps that's a different conversation -- then it's really about whether the extra tens of thousands of dollars are worth it to you or could be put to better use. only you can make that decision.

UVa is a very respected school, so I personally don't think going to Penn would be worth the cost, unless you have a very clear and strategic plan for how Penn is going to be a steppingstone toward the PhD (e.g. you intend to pursue an independent study with a particular faculty member, or something like that). Otherwise, I don't think having the Penn name on your CV is necessarily worth it. I'd be sure to ask very specific questions when you visit about who is teaching what courses next year, opportunities for research, etc. Then you can make a more informed decision about whether it's worth it. But based on reputation alone, I don't think the additional cost is necessary to undertake, since you have another great option available to you.

Congrats! 

I also got into Rossier (PASA) and University of Washington (Higher Ed Leadership), but am seriously leaning towards Penn at this point. 

I am heavily weighing overall cost, cost of living and prestige. I got a 10k scholarship offer from Penn, no word on funding for any of the other schools I applied to at this point. In addition, my fiancee has a teaching job offer in Philly for 42k/year that should seriously help cover our living expenses while I am in the program. 

Congratulations to you as well! Are you going to attend the "Preview Event"? I live in Korea, so I don't think I will be able to attend. I am hoping to get some Skype or phone interviews if possible. Funding is definitely a top priority for me!

Edited by DerekT

Congratulations to you as well! Are you going to attend the "Preview Event"? I live in Korea, so I don't think I will be able to attend. I am hoping to get some Skype or phone interviews if possible. Funding is definitely a top priority for me!

I am considering it, but it will be a pretty large expense before what will be a massive undertaking and expense of moving from the west coast to the east coast. More than likely I will just do skype interviews. They say that GA'ships are available for most if not all admitted students but that not interviewing will mean that you don't have any say and may end up with an assignment well outside your target area of speciality. I'm hoping for something in admissions or advising personally. 

Is anyone else still waiting to hear about PhD programs?? I saw on the results page that decisions for my particular program seem to have gone out about a week ago (Educational Linguistics), but I haven't heard anything, and there's no decision on my online application. I'm anticipating a rejection since I didn't get invited to interview weekend, but it would still be nice to officially hear *something*...

Is anyone still waiting on Masters's Decisions? I applied to the Teacher, Learning and Leadership program and have not heard anything  :(

From what I understand (thanks to posters on this thread!), most master's programs admissions are done on a rolling basis. The earlier you applied, the earlier you will hear. So the fact that you haven't heard has nothing to do with your merit as a candidate; they probably just haven't gotten to your app yet. :) Best of luck!

Just heard back from Counseling and Mental Health Services with an Interview offer!

Me too!! So excited. Are you going to campus or a skype interview?

Skype. I live far from there and I've exhausted my interview travel funds already haha.

I have been admitted to TLL msed! I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me- it seems like the Penn site says we won't receive funding information until may, after we have accepted the offer, meaning we wont have full funding information until after we decide to attend. Can this be right?

Edited by edz

I have been admitted to TLL msed! I was wondering if anyone could answer this for me- it seems like the Penn site says we won't receive funding information until may, after we have accepted the offer, meaning we wont have full funding information until after we decide to attend. Can this be right?

GA info will be coming later but I was offered a scholarship with my acceptance letter. 

Congrats to everyone who was accepted. I'll see some of you in the fall! 

Hi All-

I am the one agonizing over UVa verus Penn and have a follow-up. As a master's student starting in the fall, I think I would want to apply for my PhD right away. Penn's program is only nine months, so I would be asking for recs from people I have only known for 2-3 months. This makes me nervous. If I went to UVa, I would start in June and build at least a six month relationship and have one set of (summer school) graduate grades on my transcript. Do you think on sets me up for a better chance at a PhD? Or is the general advice to just complete my masters and then apply.

Thanks friends!

Hi All-

I am the one agonizing over UVa verus Penn and have a follow-up. As a master's student starting in the fall, I think I would want to apply for my PhD right away. Penn's program is only nine months, so I would be asking for recs from people I have only known for 2-3 months. This makes me nervous. If I went to UVa, I would start in June and build at least a six month relationship and have one set of (summer school) graduate grades on my transcript. Do you think on sets me up for a better chance at a PhD? Or is the general advice to just complete my masters and then apply.

Thanks friends!

Personally, I think it might be hard to get strong letters of rec from profs you've only known for a couple of months. I considered applying to PhD programs during the fall of a one-year master's program, but ultimately decided waiting another year was worth it. I can't speak to how the process would've gone for me had I applied in the fall of my master's program, but I feel confident that I was a stronger applicant after finishing my master's (due to more defined, clearly articulated, and sophisticated research interests; more research experience under my belt; and stronger relationships with faculty) than I would have been 3 months in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!  I have been lurking in this thread but have not participated until now; I have been accepted into the Educational Linguistics Ph.D program this fall.

What are people thinking about or finding in terms of housing?  I am currently doing research and am unsure about just staying in a single room in Sansom Place for the convenience or trying elsewhere and/or having roommates (preferably other GSE grad students, of course).  What are other people entering GSE thinking of doing?  I have been searching all over - off-campus housing, apartments.com and zillow.com, etc - but am still debating.

• 2 years later...
On 4/11/2015 at 4:51 AM, kimawi said:

Hello everyone!  I have been lurking in this thread but have not participated until now; I have been accepted into the Educational Linguistics Ph.D program this fall.

What are people thinking about or finding in terms of housing?  I am currently doing research and am unsure about just staying in a single room in Sansom Place for the convenience or trying elsewhere and/or having roommates (preferably other GSE grad students, of course).  What are other people entering GSE thinking of doing?  I have been searching all over - off-campus housing, apartments.com and zillow.com, etc - but am still debating.

I know this thread is old, but I'm preparing to apply to PGSE Educational Linguistics program for Fall 2019. I'm just wondering if you have any tips one makes a great application. What kind of research experience and professional experience do people admitted to this program typically have? Is having published papers a "requirement" to get in, or is it just an advantage?

These are the things I'm mostly worried about. I'm going to be spending all of 2018 getting research experience and building relationships with people who can give me a good recommendation. I just wanted to know where I should be focusing my experience building.

Thanks!