Penn GSE Fall 2015

tchrsquirrel

Thank you for your insights! (Still learning how to quote here!)

That makes a lot of sense that each division had its own discussion.

Best of luck for you too! :)

Ha, had the same problem with quoting in the beginning! :)

Thanks!  I really appreciate your comments on my previous post :)

I applied to their doctoral program in higher ed.  What about you?  Best of luck to you as well!

Of course; your credentials are solid (wish I were as qualified!). I'm applying to RWL, EdD. I'm very excited, but also very realistic. It's a very uncertain process; I think (hope!) my numbers and experience are passable, but I have learned that the admissions process is far more about fit (eg, whether a candidate's interests are aligned with faculty members' current projects/research). Best of luck!

Hey guys! When do you think PhD applicants get a notification about the PhD weekend thing that generally take place on February? And does anybody know what is this weekend about? Interviews?

Just throwing some topic here so we can interact more!

Hey guys! When do you think PhD applicants get a notification about the PhD weekend thing that generally take place on February? And does anybody know what is this weekend about? Interviews?

Just throwing some topic here so we can interact more![/

Last year, EdD weekend was held in mid-Feb, and I think PhD weekend is a week or two before that. Based on those dates, I think invitations will go out in mid- to late-January. :)

Lots of PhD and EdD applicants huh.. I applied for MA-TESOL but I think it's going to be too expensive.

I assume that you doctoral applicants already finished a masters in relative fields? Masters in education is quite expensive, no? 

I also applied to the PhD.  So nervous!  What other schools did you guys apply to?

Being a Canadian, I applied to University of Toronto and McGill University.. They have good reputations but maybe not as competitive to get in compared to high-end American universities. I think they can be good back-up schools for some people. (actually university of toronto might have <10% acceptance rate)

Other U.S. schools that I applied to: Columbia, Indiana, SIT graduate institute

Good combination of high-end schools and back up schools, in my opinion. GL to everyone..

I have a Master's in Special Education.  It wasn't too expensive, but I went to a state school.

I am applying to PhD's in Ed Policy at Vanderbilt, UofWashington, Rutgers, UPenn, UPitt, and Univ of Georgia!

I'm excited for everyone to hear!

Lots of PhD and EdD applicants huh.. I applied for MA-TESOL but I think it's going to be too expensive.

I assume that you doctoral applicants already finished a masters in relative fields? Masters in education is quite expensive, no? 

I got my masters in education while teaching at an inner city school.  The school district paid close to 85% of my tuition so I didn't have to pay much.  It worked out nicely though working at my school is no strolling in the park lol.

I mirror what others have said: Master's programs come in a variety of price points; here in the US, one can spend a (relatively) marginal amount at a small state school or a hefty sum at a private school. As far as doctorate admissions, I've heard that is not necessarily rare for applicants with a bachelor's degree only to be admitted to PhD programs (although it is certainly beneficial to have a relevant master's and/or work experience and/or research). EdD, on the other hand, is more practice-based, and I think schools are looking for a relevant master's and work experience (generally speaking, of course--I'm no authority!).

I think it is still a little early to hear from them... Mid to late January and we'll have some directions, I guess!

My application was in 11/3, although it was only "Ready for Review" as of 12/1.  For my program, they say they will have a decision within 4-6 weeks, so I was hoping I'd hear back before Christmas!

Hopefully we'll start to get some response in January like you said :)

Anyone hear anything yet?  I am beginning to feel a little discouraged :(

Do NOT feel discouraged!  Although you submitted your application in November, it was not deemed "complete" by Penn until December 1; therefore, I am guessing December 1 was when your 4-6 week waiting period started counting down (which is not quite four weeks, yet).  In addition, with the doctorate deadline being December 1, I am sure GSE was exceptionally busy  at the beginning of the month...then throw in the holidays...eek.  So nothing to be discouraged about, in my (albeit unqualified!) opinion.  Hang in there!!!  :)  

My application was in 11/3, although it was only "Ready for Review" as of 12/1.  For my program, they say they will have a decision within 4-6 weeks, so I was hoping I'd hear back before Christmas!

Hopefully we'll start to get some response in January like you said :)

What division are you applying to?

Yeah... Do not feel discouraged! Try to enjoy the holidays and January is coming soon!!!

The first mention I see of the new deadline is in a blogpost from 12/24. I wonder why they waited three weeks after the original deadline to announce the extension. And how is extending the deadline fair to those of us who submitted on December 1st?! I would have loved another month to work on my statement of purpose...

@whittylin and cami15 and viget.  I can answer that question.  They are currently in month 4 of a new application system and test scores appear to be causing the most significant delay. They have been given the tentative date of December 15 as the date by which the checklist will be updated.  Thus, because of the new system glitches, they will give all applicants with an incomplete file an opportunity to complete, provided applicants’ respond in a timely manner.  And "Starting December 17, Penn GSE is reopening its application process for a limited time to allow applicants to complete their application(s) for one or more of our PhD and/or non-executive EdD programs. This opportunity is only available until Friday January 2, 2015. After that, Penn GSE will no longer be accepting PhD and non-executive EdD applications for the 2015-2016 academic year."  How do I know that?  My file was incomplete. 

@whittylin and cami15 and viget.  I can answer that question.  They are currently in month 4 of a new application system and test scores appear to be causing the most significant delay. They have been given the tentative date of December 15 as the date by which the checklist will be updated.  Thus, because of the new system glitches, they will give all applicants with an incomplete file an opportunity to complete, provided applicants’ respond in a timely manner.  And "Starting December 17, Penn GSE is reopening its application process for a limited time to allow applicants to complete their application(s) for one or more of our PhD and/or non-executive EdD programs. This opportunity is only available until Friday January 2, 2015. After that, Penn GSE will no longer be accepting PhD and non-executive EdD applications for the 2015-2016 academic year."  How do I know that?  My file was incomplete.

Kyreina-Musuma: Thank you so much for your comment! Im glad you had the chance to complete your application! :)