M.S. Statistics Profile Eval

Undergraduate

B.S. Mathematics - Statistics, Music minor

3.62/4 cumulative GPA

3.5/4 major GPA

Graduated with University and Department Honors. Outstanding Senior Award. May 2014 = graduation date

Very unknown, unranked school

Relevant Coursework:

Calculus I, II (AP credit)

Calculus III ( B)

Probability ( B)

Linear Algebra (A)

Mathematical Statistics (A-)

Real Analysis I (A)

Advanced Linear Algebra (A)

Abstract Algebra I (A)

Econometrics (A) - introductory level

Real Analysis II (A)

Abstract Algebra II (A)

Measure-Theoretic Probability with Stochastic Processes (A)

Somewhat Relevant Coursework:

Four actuarial science classes: B- (financial math), B+ and A- (life contingencies), B+ (financial economics).

Other Experience:

Currently working as an actuary; passed 4 exams. Expecting to be credentialed in summer 2015. 

I worked for an education company which specialized in creating education materials for people studying for the actuarial exams for 2 months on site, 1 year via the internet. I was involved in creating questions, practice exams, providing feedback to students, and reviewing a study manual for the actuarial exam on probability.

Research/Presentations:

Two math-and-music projects, one on time scale calculus. Presented material from the Measure-Theoretic Probability with Stochastic Processes course during departmental math retreat for University Honors credit. 

Teaching/Grading Experience:

Tutored for 8 semesters for lower-division mathematics courses, from Finite Math all the way to Real Analysis. Graded for 6 courses: Abstract Algebra I, three Probability courses, Mathematical Modeling, Calculus III. Served as "Honors Tutor" (basically a TA) for Honors Calculus I and Honors Elementary Statistics. Primary coordinator for Calculus I final exam review sessions for three semesters. 

Letters of Recommendation:

One from a statistics professor (the one who did the independent study with me on Measure-Theoretic Probability), one from a real analysis professor, and one from an actuarial science professor.

Considering Applying to:

Iowa State University, M.S. Statistics, Distance Learning program <am I trying to reach too far?>

<insert any other online learning program here - any ideas? I am looking for something that has a nice balance of applied and theoretical statistics>

Edited by Clarinetist

I'm not familiar with Iowa State's online program and I don't know how competitive they are in general, but I've heard good things about the following other online Statistics programs:

-Penn State

-South Carolina

-Colorado State

Best of luck!

May I ask you a question, why do you want to go for an online program? Don't you think that stats is more enjoyable in company? There are some stats masters that are funded, like Michigan and Illinois.

May I ask you a question, why do you want to go for an online program? Don't you think that stats is more enjoyable in company? There are some stats masters that are funded, like Michigan and Illinois.

I would like to continue my actuarial work until I finish the credentialing process.

I would like to continue my actuarial work until I finish the credentialing process.

Well, you could do it even as a full-time students in a traditional program (a friend of mine is doing it, but of course I understand it is not easy).

I'm not familiar with Iowa State's online program and I don't know how competitive they are in general, but I've heard good things about the following other online Statistics programs:

-Penn State

-South Carolina

-Colorado State

Best of luck!

I'm actually taking the online Probability Theory course via Penn State World Campus now and I think it's pretty great. I thought that it would be easy and applied (even though it says theory) but we actually do rigorous proofs in the course. I would recommend it.

So, I haven't had an answer to this question yet: am I reaching too far with IA State? Should I contact a professor there that I would be interested in doing research with? What are the dos and don'ts in this process for a prospective graduate student in stats?

I'm actually taking the online Probability Theory course via Penn State World Campus now and I think it's pretty great. I thought that it would be easy and applied (even though it says theory) but we actually do rigorous proofs in the course. I would recommend it.

Hate to say, I'm looking at the syllabus, and it's not at all what I'm looking for. I have tutored that material for three years now, and am looking for a program that has a measure-theoretic probability course. It has been rather difficult to find online stats programs that cover measure-theoretic probability.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the GRE today. Projected scores: 154V, 158Q. Really discouraged by this right now, as it might ruin my chance for the IA State program. Also, my computer froze at least 10 times during the examination. This forced me to guess on some of the quantitative questions. Going to complain to ETS and Prometric about this madness. I called ETS and they said it'd take 4-6 weeks. :(

Edited by Clarinetist

I had the opportunity to visit Iowa State's Statistics department not too long ago. Their program seems very strong and is a little unique in the flexibility it allows students in designing their graduate experience. The only thing is, I mainly conferred with PhD students, so I'm not sure what things are like on the MS side, although I would reckon they are similar. Of course, things may be different online as well.

The students I talked to came from various backgrounds, and, although Iowa State's Statistics program is fairly prestigous, they admitted not all of them were totally amazing Stats students as undergraduates, and they still got into the PhD program. I don't think you are reaching too far with Iowa State. Furthermore, you might as well try applying, right? The only thing you have to fear is denial, and the only thing you have to lose is the application fee.

Edited by Agrippa

• 4 weeks later...

It's probably good enough for masters but I think the consensus on this forum is that a 163Q is the cutoff if you want to go to a PhD. I'm sure you're fine to do Iowa State's online masters. Honestly, I feel like most online programs are diploma mills anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Any results yet?

I'm also looking into online M.S. degrees in Stats that are both affordable and mathematically rigorous; the ISU program is pretty much all I can find that fits both. NCSU just launched an online M.S. that looks promising. But it seems like they won't be offering the more advanced versions of the theoretical stats and linear models courses like you could take in person on campus. Bummer...

Any results yet?

I'm also looking into online M.S. degrees in Stats that are both affordable and mathematically rigorous; the ISU program is pretty much all I can find that fits both. NCSU just launched an online M.S. that looks promising. But it seems like they won't be offering the more advanced versions of the theoretical stats and linear models courses like you could take in person on campus. Bummer...

Yes, I was accepted on May 7.

I completely agree with you. ISU is probably the only online M.S. stats program worth paying for. 

Edited by Clarinetist

While I'm at it, life happened and I have considered applying to Ph.D. programs in the next few months. How does my profile look? I want to at least get my GRE score up.

Edited by Clarinetist

Yes, I was accepted on May 7.

I completely agree with you. ISU is probably the only online M.S. stats program worth paying for. 

Cool, congrats. I'll probably apply in the not so distant future.

While I'm at it, life happened and I have considered applying to Ph.D. programs in the next few months. How does my profile look? I want to at least get my GRE score up.

Your background seems appropriate, including a solid math background and a touch of research experience...

Two things worth noting:

1. You need to retake the GRE. Shoot for a 95%+ score in Q. I highly recommend Magoosh. Additionally, for many top programs, I think they will require the mathematics GRE, which I hear is tough, even having taken real analysis and measure theory.

2. Think about why you would want to do a Ph.D. and have really good reasons. Anecdotally, I went for mine in Industrial Engineering at a top 20 department and probably top 2-3 in Industrial Stats; it was miserable, because at the time, I wasn't passionate about the research, so I ended up dropping out. If you aren't in love with the research, I'd recommend finding something else to do.

Edited by efh0888

Two things worth noting:

1. You need to retake the GRE. Shoot for a 95%+ score in Q. I highly recommend Magoosh. Additionally, for many top programs, I think they will require the mathematics GRE, which I hear is tough, even having taken real analysis and measure theory.

2. Think about why you would want to do a Ph.D. and have really good reasons. Anecdotally, I went for mine in Industrial Engineering at a top 20 department and probably top 2-3 in Industrial Stats; it was miserable, because at the time, I wasn't passionate about the research, so I ended up dropping out. If you aren't in love with the research, I'd recommend finding something else to do.

Yeah, I'm going to try Manhattan for the GRE. The math GRE, as far as I know in stats, is only required at Stanford. I'm going to try to go for Minnesota, but it's extremely competitive there. 

I would love to do research in either stochastic processes, regression, or nonparametric statistics. At the moment my desire to pursue a Ph.D. isn't a problem; it's just a matter of getting in.

I'm in the process of trying to get ISU to let me do a thesis-based M.S.. Hopefully this works out.

Edited by Clarinetist

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm going to try Manhattan for the GRE. The math GRE, as far as I know in stats, is only required at Stanford. I'm going to try to go for Minnesota, but it's extremely competitive there. 

I would love to do research in either stochastic processes, regression, or nonparametric statistics. At the moment my desire to pursue a Ph.D. isn't a problem; it's just a matter of getting in.

I'm in the process of trying to get ISU to let me do a thesis-based M.S.. Hopefully this works out.

I think Chicago requires the math gre, too, but I'm not sure.

Seems like it's crazy competitive right now, because of all the hype around "big data" and "data science". I guess if you're gonna do a Ph.D., though, Statistics is a pretty awesome choice. On the career side, have you seen this article, http://fortune.com/2015/04/27/best-worst-graduate-degrees-jobs/ ?

Any news on doing the thesis with ISU?

Edited by efh0888