PhD from unranked program

js911

I applied and accepted enrollment as an MS student at the same university I completed my undergrad at. I turned down all my other applications because I was offered funding for the MS, which apparently is rare. About a week after I accepted and signed everything, I was asked to join the PhD program instead - something I wasn't expecting at all. Nearly everyone I talked to said I should accept the offer, which I did, because there was no downside: I can leave after 2 years with a masters if I desire (the department told me this, since they realized I applied for an MS) and I get a slightly better stipend + health care. I also wasn't sure if I wanted a PhD yet (one of the reasons I didn't apply directly for a PhD anywhere), but this opportunity gave me 2 years to find out.

I only had about a week make the decision to accept the PhD offer, and there are a few things I didn't consider. After reading grad school forums more, I have a few concerns:

1. Will obtaining all three degrees from the same school be looked upon unfavorably? I've seen mixed opinions on this, and I've even seen some posters say they would never hire anyone who hasn't changed programs. I think such a perspective is ridiculous, but the fact that an employer might possess such a view is enough to give me pause.

2. The department I'm at is not ranked and essentially off the radar, but the professors are all from top universities. I couldn't care less about rankings, and I think the quality of a student is infinitely more important than reputation; however, I'm afraid the rest of the world doesn't agree. Will receiving a PhD from an unranked program handicap me? I haven't decided on academia or industry, but I'd like to keep all doors open.

Thanks

Your doubts aside, what are your choices at the moment?

As far as I understand you are now choosing between MS and MS+PhD. In that case the second one seems to be a win-win: you still get MS and you will be able to choose between leaving with MS, continuing for PhD at the same institution or leaving with MS and applying for PhD elsewhere afterwards.

The only possible problem I see is if you decide to switch for a PhD at other univs (if you decide to do so) and ask you professors for LORs. If you don't get accepted, it will be weird to continue studying at the univ that you wanted to leave but couldn't (and people know about this)

I'm of the opinion that the type of work you do far far outweighs the ranking of the program you happen to be in.

Which isn't to say highly ranked programs are bad, indeed, it can be far far easier to do excellent research at a highly ranked program where the standards are high and you're surrounded by brilliant people. But if you feel you can do good work at your current institution, good world-class work, then it will be recognized. Just make sure you're getting into top publication venues, etc... where you're actually competing against research from the higher ranked programs and not just sticking to local conferences.

If you keep doing that, by the time you graduate with a PhD, your program may not be unranked anymore.

Thanks for your advice, belowthree, we seem to share the same view on this matter. I think I'll stick with the plan unless I'm given a reason not to... perhaps if I feel the professors aren't interested in publishing or pushing me hard enough.