Let's talk: Autobiographical Sketch v. SOP

While this may seem naive, I'm not exactly sure what the different between these two statements is, or more specifically, why we need to write two. I guess my problem might be I'm a naturally concise writer (I have an allergy to florid language and my prose is painted beige). So here's a list of questions to get the ball rolling:

1. What kind of personal information is expected in an autobio. sketch? How long should this be? I feel like my personal (and family) history is about as interesting as a gray wall, but that's beside the point...

2. In a statement of purpose (written by someone with a bachelors degree, which, as usual, means that my research and experiences is somewhat limited, of course...) what information should be included? Since this statement is less personal, should I jump right in or include a hook-like statement? Can some of the details covered in the Autobiographical be included in this statement (if they're relevant to both)?

3. What qualities do you think makes a good Autobio sketch and/or Sop; and why?

I'll come up with more questions later, but let's begin with these! :)

I assume you need to write there statements for specific schools. The best thing you can do is read their prompts. That will give you the best indication as to what the schools are looking for and how long each essay should be. 

In the absence of any guidance (though I'm sure at least some of your schools do provide guidance), I would say: 

- Keep each statement to 2 pages or under, under 1000 words.

- The personal statement can be more autobiographical: it can talk about how you got interested in your field, and discuss any difficulties you had along the way. If there were issues when you were growing up, health issues, financial difficulties, etc. Anything you want to explain to the adcom so they have a better sense of who you are as a person. 

- The statement of purpose should be a more professional document. It would include some discussion of your background but would concentrate on your research interests and future research plans, as they pertain to the school you're applying to. So, you'd want to describe what you care about, how you're prepared to study it, and how the school you are applying to can support you in doing that. A good SOP is focused and shows that you've thought through your interests and the places you've chosen to apply for.