what is the recommended math background for biostats?

math doc

Keeping it brief and to the point I have a Bachelors of Engineering with math as a second major.

I have been out of school for many years, 10+, and beyond simple algebra have not used math at all.

Combined with that I went over my transcript and looking at my undergrad courses realized it was likely a watered down math major compared to what a BS in math would be. 

IE: no advanced/multivariate calculus and no real analysis

To that end I have completed, what I think was a wonderful, online Calc I course (as a refresher) and went deeper into the material than I recall the first few times.

I am currently taking a second online calc course which, although not stated as a Calc II course, jumped right into Taylor series, convergence, etc.

Although I took a full year of calculus at the undergrad level and received an A, Taylor series calculations and convergence are proving to be very challenging.

So back to the original question. What math background, both specific courses and general knowledge, is needed to be successful starting out in a biostats program so that an advisor/mentor would not have to worry about his/her mentee.

I have already put together a full spring semester which would have me taking Multivariate calculus, and retaking DiffEq, Linear Algebra, and intro to stats (which I essentially took 3 times undergrad as math, engineering and econ courses acing all of them).

I would be taking these classes at the school I would plan to apply to and have already talked to the chair of the admission committee on the phone and in person, albeit a year ago, and am preparing to contact him again and go over my plan of entry.

I realize these are questions I should have for him. Being a little more prepared never hurt though. I have looked at the program online, exhaustively, and I am aware of the requirement for MV calc, prob/stats and linear algebra. I am just curious from the perspective of current grad students and professors what I should know and be prepared for beyond that.

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't waste time taking differential equations, which is much more of an applied math thing (the vast majority of biostatisticians never touch DEs). If you can replace DiffEq by real analysis, that would help you a lot more (assuming you're looking to enter a PhD program; if only a Masters, then you don't need RA). You should also consider replacing intro stats by a course in probability or mathematical statistics.

Given the length of time since graduating I would almost certainly enter the Masters program with the long term intent of getting my PhD. In my face to face discussion with the chair he even indicated that they need more Masters candidates, for what essentially sounded like political reasons, which would certainly suit my expectations, goals, etc.

Thanks for the speedy response. I have started to adjust my proposed schedule accordingly and would likely have to find a way to convince the powers that be that I can review and renew my probability and stats background through directed study while taking formal classes in MV Calc and Linear Algebra (loved that class). I am open for more input from both profs and students. Real analysis is not a requirement for entrance to the program but there are 2 QE's that both the Masters and PhD students take; one each of applied and theoretical, so taking an RA class probably would not be a bad idea.

Thanks again

I wouldn't waste time taking differential equations, which is much more of an applied math thing (the vast majority of biostatisticians never touch DEs). If you can replace DiffEq by real analysis, that would help you a lot more (assuming you're looking to enter a PhD program; if only a Masters, then you don't need RA). You should also consider replacing intro stats by a course in probability or mathematical statistics.

Would this also apply to statistics PhD?

I took Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra, but not DEs.

I plan to take real analysis and DE. Should I take numerical analysis or other math course instead of DE?