Museum studies and biology

Asianguy21

I just recently graduated with my bachelors in biology and wanted to apply my scientific knowledge and background by beginning a career working inside a museum such as the Smithsonian Natural History Museum/Smithsonian national zoo or any public science museum doing research.  The Smithsonian website is a big proponent of the museum studies degree programs that are offered in some universities and my question is would a masters in museum studies be a good combination with my bachelors in Biology to pursue such a career inside the museums? The museum studies graduate programs offer great internship opportunities and I'm thinking this would be a great way to get my foot into the door.  Anyone with any advice on rather or not this would be a good decision to pursue? Anyone here majoring in museum studies that could give me some advice would be great. Thanks

I just recently graduated with my bachelors in biology and wanted to apply my scientific knowledge and background by beginning a career working inside a museum such as the Smithsonian Natural History Museum/Smithsonian national zoo or any public science museum doing research.  The Smithsonian website is a big proponent of the museum studies degree programs that are offered in some universities and my question is would a masters in museum studies be a good combination with my bachelors in Biology to pursue such a career inside the museums? The museum studies graduate programs offer great internship opportunities and I'm thinking this would be a great way to get my foot into the door.  Anyone with any advice on rather or not this would be a good decision to pursue? Anyone here majoring in museum studies that could give me some advice would be great. Thanks

Maybe. Many museum studies degrees are going to be either related to collections care/management and education (and by some extent, research), so I don't know if they'll meet your true goals. In this case, it's probably best to just outright email people who do things you'd like to be doing, or to buy/ILL/check out a few books on science based careers in museums. Actually, what will inevitably be helpful is just reading books about sciences in museums in general, so here goes:

Books:

A Practical Guide to Museum Careers

A Life in Museums: Managing your Museum Career

Nontraditional Careers in Science

Creating Connections: Museums and the Public Understanding of Current Research Museum Informatics: People, Information, and Technology in Museums

By Press:

Alta Mira:

The Green Museum A Primer on Environmental Practice - Second Edition

What Makes Learning Fun? Principles for the Design of Intrinsically Motivating Museum Exhibits 

Landscapes and Gardens for Historic Buildings A Handbook for Reproducing and Creating Authentic Landscape Settings - Second

Fluid Preservation A Comprehensive Reference 

Left Coast Press:

Dinosaurs and Dioramas

Creating Natural History Exhibitions

Group Inquiry at Science Museum Exhibits

Getting Visitors to Ask Juicy Questions

byte.gif

Science & Civic Life

Museums & Social Issues 4:1 Thematic Issue

The Intersection of Museums and The Learning Sciences

Journal of Museum Education 33:2 Thematic Issue

http://www.lcoastpress.com/books_subject.php?id=60

AAM

http://www.aam-us.org/resources/bookstore - Career Management

I'm sure you've already looked, but the list on the Smithsonian's website clearly lists a few programs that might be of interest:

Arizona State University Tempe, AZ 85287

Master of Arts in Anthropology and Certificate in Museum Anthropology

School of Human Evolution and Social Change, Museum Anthropology Program 

Master of Arts in Anthropology with a concentration in Museum Anthropology and Certificate in Museum Anthropology explores how museums actively produce knowledge, as well as examine fundamental questions concerning the role of museums in societies all over the world.

University of Colorado Boulder, CO 80309

Master of Science in Museum and Field Studies and Certificate

Graduate Program in Museum and Field Studies 

Program offers a Master's of Science in Museum and Field Studies, as well as a Professional Certificate option for museum professionals and graduate students in other departments.

Eastern Michigan University Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Master of Science in Historic Preservation and Graduate Certificate in Historic Preservation

Department of Geography and Geology, Historic Preservation Program 

MS degree with concentrations in: General Studies, Heritage Interpretation, Tourism and Administration, Preservation Planning, Conservation and Technology, and a graduate Certificate Program; Prepares students from a variety of educational and career backgrounds for professional service in the fields of preservation planning, historic administration, and heritage interpretation by providing both classroom theory and practical experience.

University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Museum Studies Certificate - Undergraduate or Graduate

Museum Studies Program 

Prepares individuals for innovative careers in museums and non-profit institutions. Designed to be flexible and tailored to a student’s specific interests. Students represent diverse majors, including art history, studio art, anthropology, communication arts, history and urban studies, zoology, fisheries and wildlife, geography, recreation, tourism and resource studies. Can be incorporated as a part of, or as an extension to, an undergraduate or graduate degree program.

Bank Street College of Education New York, NY 10025

Master of Science in Education Childhood (grades 1-6) teaching certification

Museum Education: Childhood (grades 1-6) 

Prepares students for two professional roles: that of a museum educator knowledgeable about children and schools; and that of a classroom teacher in grades 1 through 6, skilled in making effective use of museum resources.

Master of Science in Education (no teaching certification)

Museum Education (non-certification) 

Museum Education (non-certification); Prepares students to be a museum educator knowledgeable about children and schools, and work with diverse museum visitors of all ages. Program provides a foundation in human development, learning theories, school curriculum, and museum policy and practice, with field experiences in museums and schools. 

Master of Science in Education

Leadership in Museum Education 

Leadership in Museum Education is geared to professionals and prepares educators for leadership positions in museums or cultural institutions. Year One provides the foundation for effective program and audience development with classes on human development, learning theory, exhibit development, and program design and evaluation. Year Two focuses on organizational management including leadership styles, understanding the role of the mission, strategic planning and board responsibilities, marketing, financial management and staff development.

State University of New York College at Buffalo Buffalo, NY 14222

Multidisciplinary Studies - Museum Studies Option, Master of Arts, Master of Science

Department of History and Social Studies Education 

Multidisciplinary studies programs are designed for individuals with unique professional and educational objectives not readily met by traditional master’s degree programs. Provides students with the conceptual and professional tools required for leadership roles in contemporary museums. The program is designed for individuals seeking employment in the evolving world of contemporary museums, and offers students maximum flexibility to design a museum studies program that suits their background, interests, and career plans. Primary disciplines contributing to the program typically include history and social studies education, fine art, design, anthropology, art education, and design. Secondary disciplines might include creative studies, science education, business, economics, communication, art conservation, and educational technology.

University of Oregon Eugene, OR 97403

Master of Science in Historic Preservation

Historic Preservation Program 

Interdisciplinary focus within the School of Architecture and Allied Arts; Three concentration areas: Preservation Theory, Design, and Technology; Preservation Planning and Cultural Resource Management; and Resource Identification and Evaluation. Students develop broad cultural concerns with a technical emphasis. Attention is given to historic places, buildings, and landscapes in terms of their specific forms, materials, and construction; the cultural and theoretical context in which they were developed; the impact of time upon their materials, meanings and functions; and the technologies, interpretations and means for sustaining the presence of historic places in the future. Undergraduate Minor available as well.

University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA 19104

Master of Science in Historic Preservation and Historic Preservation Certificates

Graduate Program in Historic Preservation 

Historic preservation addresses change responsive to the historic environment; Provides an integrated approach for architects, landscape architects, planners, historians, archaeologists, conservators, managers, and other professionals to understand, sustain, and transform the existing environment. Students learn to identify and analyze cultural places and their historic fabric, determine significance and value, and design appropriate conservation and management measures. 

Texas Tech University Lubbock, TX 79409

Master of Arts in Museum Science and a Master of Science in Heritage Management

Museum Science Program 

The Center for Advanced Study (CFAS) of Museum Science and Heritage Management prepares graduate students for entry into the international community of active professionals by providing both theoretical and practical preparation. Emphasizes thorough preparation in the broad spectrum of museum theory and practice; Receive a comprehensive background in museum studies, preparing students as generalists; Students may elect to become specialized in a number of museum subdisciplines including collection management; exhibitions and interpretation; museology; museum management and administration; and curatorship in anthropology, art, history, or the natural sciences.

University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Milwaukee, WI 53201 

Museum Studies Graduate Certificate

Department of Anthropology, Museum Studies Certificate Program 

Provides an overview of museum work, including philosophical and contemporary issues, museum history and methodology, collections care and management, curation, interpretation, preventive conservation, and exhibitions. Coursework is structured to develop a high degree of professionalism and responsibility, skills in problem solving, critical thinking and evaluation, writing, oral presentation, decision-making, and teamwork.

Of course if your interest is less in education, collections management, conservation, etc -- then perhaps continuing on a pure science degree and interning your self out to museums would be better. 

• 3 weeks later...

Before applying for programs, I would strongly recommend you spend at least 6 months either volunteering, interning, or working at a museum.  Work the front desk, spend time as a docent or tour guide, work in the gift shop - whatever you can do to get some experience.  Not only will this beef up your resume, but it will also give you an indication of whether or not museum work is for you.

I have been working in the development department at a small museum for the past 18 months and while my primary duties consist of managing fundraising databases and putting together special events, I have also spent time as a tour guide, elementary school educator, exhibit design grunt (i.e. carrying heavy things for our curator), and part time janitor.  Most museum employees, outside of the lucky few who find work in a world class institution, will be faced with a lot of menial tasks and will wear many hats before finding that dream curatorial or management position.

With that said, go for it!  Personally, I'm interested in exhibit design and collections management so I am applying mainly to museum studies programs, but you might want to look into something more research based.  Museum studies programs generally grant terminal master's degrees and work for people like myself, who are looking to manage and care for museum collections.  For research, I would suggest looking into PhD programs in your area of interest, and finding a school that also offers a Museum Studies certificate.  This way, you can focus on your research while taking some classes that will ground you in the basics of museum best practices.  The poster above me has some good schools listed, though again I would suggest focusing on your area of study and finding a certificate program or internships.  Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Been lurking awhile, but what I have to share is time-sensitive, so here we go. You mentioned an interest in the Smithsonian NMNH. I am not sure whether you qualify to apply, but you should look into the Natural History Research Experiences program. Graduating seniors can apply, but I do not know whether the same applies to recent graduates. (If you graduated early, you might have a better chance at it.) The deadline is January 27, 2015. It is an amazing program with many opportunities, and it sounds like the perfect fit for someone who wants to combine biology with museum studies. Namely, there's opportunities for budding botanists, entomologists, vertebrate and invertebrate zoologists, and paleobiologists. And yes, you can be involved with the National Zoo as an intern (ex). If that sounds like something up your alley, you should contact the program administrator and ask if you are eligible to apply.

As an aside, your biology background might be a good starting point for applying to conservation programs. @m-ttl's list seems like a good place to start. Based on what little I know, I think you should keep an eye out for programs that feature "conservation research" specifically, rather than just conservation training or certification. You would be doing a lot of methods and materials research with a fair bit of emphasis on chemistry. Conservation internships might help give you a sense of the day-to-day work, but it's quite likely that you will be saddled with the most repetitive and menial tasks in conservation as an intern without prior experience. It will be very craftsman-like, hands-on work, quite mind-numbing, but peaceful. Perhaps it is an accurate reflection of conservation work overall, but I have not looked into positions that focus full-time on conservation research rather than collections upkeep, so I cannot speak fairly of the field in general. Conservation research is fascinating, though, and it is something you might be interested in given your background!

Overall, look into "natural history" and "conservation research" opportunities. If I find anything during my own search, I'll come back to update this post. Good luck!

Edit: Pardon, I wanted to see what the arrows next to the post were all about – apparently, you can upvote yourself, and it's irreversible. Oops!

Edited by Burr