Question regarding which set to send (repost from Psyc forum)

kurumi2117

Applying to programs in (Applied) Developmental Psychology and Human Development/Family Studies.

I took the GRE twice about a month apart. The first time, I was very strong on Verbal (164), very poor on Quant. (148), and just alright on AW (4). I just retook it after a month of studying the Quant. and went down significantly on Verbal (159), up on Quant (152), and haven't received my score on AW but I am certain it went up at least a half point because I was well-prepared (used Score It Now) and thus, was able to write higher quality essays.

My question is, which scores do I send? I was thinking of sending both sets but my Quant is so terrible on the first set.

Background information: Most of the programs I'm applying to list their admitted students' GRE averages as a combined score, and I exceed that. However, I'm not certain how having a high score on one and low on the other affects my chances. There are a few more competitive programs where I only meet the minimums set by the department if you take V from one and Q/AW from the other. I feel my application is pretty strong otherwise: I am applying with a Master's degree from a less prestigious state school (GPA: 4.0) with an empirical thesis; several years of teaching (including intro. statistics), research, and volunteer experience; one poster presentation at a conference as first author; several advanced statistics courses with A grades; and a sizable and fairly prestigious scholarship. Additionally, one of my letter writers is a statistics professor with whom I have worked closely and he has offered to vouch for my statistical ability despite my low Quant. score.

I am consulting with my mentors but wouldn't mind receiving some feedback in the meantime. This process is takes you over, you know? I'm sure everyone understands. :)

Edited by kurumi2117

I think I would too.. Everything else you have going on makes you a very strong applicant for sure. One of my programs (social psych) says they look for above 80th percentile in at least one section. So I suppose not all programs expect two amazing scores.