Georgia Tech housing: GLC vs. Crecine?

handlest

Hi everyone!

I'm enrolled for the fall semester at GT and I'm considering my housing options;I would like to know your opinion on which residence is better, GLC or Crecine? is there any difference between the two anyway? Thanks for helping!

I'm starting at GaTech this Fall as well. I considered GLC. I realized though that it wasn't much cheaper than living off-campus. You have to share a bathroom with one other person and a living-room/kitchen with 4. Personally, I cannot see myself living with 3 other people that I do not know. In addition, the GLC contract I read was worse than any private property I've seen. One would think that the housing department at a public university would make everything in the interest of the student, but with GaTech housing, it seemed everything was against the student. Add to that the fact that the campus isn't really a very nice place to live on. My undergraduate university had an AMAZING campus and I absolutely loved living on it, but can't say the same with GaTech.

I can't really answer your question, but I recently moved to a very nice property next to campus. It is a 30 min walk to my department, but I think the exercise will be great. Considering the rent and utilities I am paying, it is a bit more expensive than on-campus, but at least I have my own 1-bedroom apartment.

I have lived in GT housing for the last 4 years and I can absolutely promise you that it will be a terrible experience. They have absolutely no concern for the students. The people in charge of housing treat you like you're back in middle school, they don't trust you for anything and will not do anything to accommodate you. Please don't make my mistake, live off campus, it will be infinitely better. There are many decent places to live right around campus. I have not heard anything about Crecine, but I have heard really good things about the post-biltmore apartments that are right to the north of campus, easily in walking distance. Also, if you will have a car I would suggest taking a look at the Vinings at river parkway apartments. They are cheap, in a really good area, and not too far from campus. Just make sure you don't live in south Atlanta and you should be fine.

hope your housing hunt goes well, and please do not live in campus housing, read through the contract, it is ridiculous and they are never lenient.

I have lived in GT housing for the last 4 years and I can absolutely promise you that it will be a terrible experience.

Why did you live there 4 years then?

Post-Baltimore is too expensive. I live on a property called Cityscape which is 30 min walking distance to the center of campus. Cheapest prices I could find in Midtown and an absolutely great property. The landscaping is fantastic and the staff are great. Really quite as well, you wouldn't think you where in Midtown.

Hey all. I'll also be starting at Tech this fall. Like TKassis, I decided to live off-campus. I did it during undergrad, and I guess I've gotten used to the lifestyle! I'll be living with two roommates from undergrad in a Homepark townhouse. I've heard mixed reviews about the on-campus housing. When I did the campus visit, one of the students in my department had been living on campus for a number of years, and he didn't have any huge complaints. But it sounds like greekthunder's had a pretty poor time there. Sorry I can't provide much better insight.

By the way, what programs are y'all starting? There hasn't been much of a Tech presence on the boards recently, and I'm eager to meet other students. I'm a PhD student in the ECE department, concentrating in analog VLSI and neuromorphic engineering.

I lived in the GLC for the first year of my master's program. It wasn't that bad, but I moved to an off-campus apartment as soon as the school year was over. Granted, this was 10 years ago so things could've changed by now, but the main "con" that I remember was that the furniture was horribly uncomfortable. My brother lived there too, when he was an undergrad (so the "G" in GLC isn't always true) and he liked it OK. It's been 8 years since I left Atlanta, but I spent 14 years there and the best place I lived was a house near Piedmont Park that had been converted to apartments. It was a great area, quiet and really convenient to campus and restaurants/bars/etc. There are a lot of similar properties around, so I'd recommend checking some of those out before signing a lease at a complex, unless you're going for that Melrose Place, 20-somethings hanging out around the pool experience.