Advanced Calculus II vs Statistical Inference II

Stats2015

I am currently taking the first semester of both Advanced Calculus and Statistical Inference (Casella & Berger) as an undergraduate.

However, next semester I have to decide between the second part of each of the sequences due to a schedule conflict between the two courses.

I was wondering which second half of the sequence would better prepare me for a PhD Statistics program?

Thank you for your time!

I haven't taken Real Analysis and this is my last year of undergrad so I won't be able to take it at this point.

I'm just curious if I don't take the second part of the Advanced Calculus sequence, if I will be required to retake the whole sequence in grad school or if an upper level Real Analysis will be required in grad school whether I finish the Advanced Calculus sequence now or not?

Thank you again!

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your specific question, but I think that if you get into a Phd stats program, it is assumed that you know calculus and Linear Algebra and you are not going to take them again.  

I think you would get more useful answers if you clarified what you meant by "advanced calculus."  In some schools, this refers to real analysis, whereas in some places it refers to something like multivariable calculus.  A strong grasp of multivariable calculus will be necessary, and an introduction to real analysis will be useful (not to mention it helping your chances of admission).  I assume your Stat Inference 1 course covered mostly the probability material.  Some exposure to the theoretical statistics in the second semester course would be very useful to prepare for graduate school, as that will likely be the most challenging course you would take in your first year, especially if you did not have previous exposure.

The Advanced Calculus course is an Analysis course dealing with the real line. We use "Fundamental Ideas of Analysis" by Michael Reed of which we will have covered convergence, sup/inf, limits, continuity, and sequences/series of functions. The second semester seems to cover more applications.

The Stat Inference class covers Probability the first semester and more theoretical Stats the second.

I was hoping to take the second part of Statistical Inference for reasons you all mentioned. I just didn't want not taking the second semester of Advanced Calculus (Analysis) to set me back in any way.

Thank you again for your time!

From what you wrote I think that you should take Advanced Calculus. Inference is conceptually easy (much easier than probability IMHO), and you could look at it by yourself or take an online/summer class.

The main reason I ask is that most of the PhD programs I've looked at seem to only state that they require the Statistics/Probability sequences needed for the qualifying exams so I wasn't sure if analysis is just useful for the required Statistics/Probability courses and it's assumed that you've seen it before entering the program, or if there will be other required courses outside of the ones required for the qualifying exams.

Thank you again for your time!

I am not in a Phd, but I think that the level of the Probability and Inference courses in a Phd program is much higher than the level of the courses in an undergraduate program. That's what you need RA for. I think you should try to contact professor or grad students at the institutions you are interested in and ask them.

Thank you for your replies. I haven't had much luck getting an answer from Professors or grad students at my school because my school doesn't really have much for statistics.

I'm applying for graduate school right now so whatever I take probably won't be visible to admissions committees, but I didn't want to have a deficiency once I started grad school.

I typically haven't had much luck with replies from professors at grad schools but I suppose I could try that route as well.

Thank you again!