Post-Bacc Approach

GCool

Hey all,

I'm eventually pursuing food science in grad school, but I thought I'd post this question in here, since post-bacc's seem to be much more common in pre-med or pre-professional situations.

I'd just like some feedback from people who are in a post-bacc, have considered going to one, have completed one and moved on, etc. I'm not entirely sure if it's the right thing for me to do. I studied a similar field (chemistry), but my grades were very bad, so it'd be a good opportunity to showcase my talents, I'm sure. At the same time, I don't know if there's a huge difference between one of these programs and, say, taking prerequisites in community college.

There are about a half dozen post-bacc nutrition science programs--Oregon State, San Jose State, and McGill (Canada), to name a few. Not exactly the same thing as food science, but for what a post-bacc is, definitely the courseload I'd need to put POI's at ease.

Thanks in advance, dudes!

• 1 month later...

I think that post-bad might be useful because they are structured and usually offer help with the admission process - but I would check what are the outcomes for the alumni. Be careful about expensive programs that look good on paper but that have poor outcomes. 

Honestly, if you will be paying for these classes either way, then if go for a masters instead, even if you have to do it at a low ranked school because of bad undergrad transcripts.

I'd be fine with that, but food science seems to have a very low number of programs (since they have to be approved by, effectively, the association of food technologists). If there are low tier programs out there, I can't effectively research them since it doesn't appear that they have the right certifications. Does that make sense?