Medical Sociology Programs

medanthroMPH

• 4 weeks later...

They told me medical sociology is hot these days, too many people are applying. But I didn't even found an official ranking regarding to med soc. Nor from US News or Times.

Anyone to help? It's my curiosity too.

They told me medical sociology is hot these days, too many people are applying. But I didn't even found an official ranking regarding to med soc. Nor from US News or Times.

Anyone to help? It's my curiosity too.

There's no rankings probably because it's a less measurable subfield of sociology - there are a lot of overlaps within and beyond sociology. While it's not rankings, there's a list of schools with a medical sociology focus here http://dept.kent.edu/sociology/asamedsoc/gradprog.htm

Depending on your focus, you'll want to look for a program in a school that has research capabilities in your area of interest. For example, if you're interested in substance abuse, try to find a place that has a rehab facility affiliated with the med school. Or if you're interested in urban health, then an urban school. Or healthcare in East Asia, find a place with a strong East Asian studies presence. If you can find a place that has easy access to a population you can study, that's going to be a huge help for your research, and helps you write a great statement of purpose.

To me, rankings just tell you where you're most likely to be fully funded.