Does neuroscience course work make up for a lack of general science coursework?

TenaciousBushLeaper

Hi all, 

So I've seen some similar topics posted on this & mine is a bit different but still related. Still I'd appreciated everyone's honest opinion and thoughts.  So I'm a psychology major and I don't have a solid background in what you'd call the natural sciences. That is to say, I've never taken physics or chemistry. I have however taken a couple of biology classes, some math classes, and upper level neurobiology classes. Specifically these and the grades I've received for these courses are  are:

Anatomy & Physiology: A,

General Biology: B,

Principles of Neurobiology: A,

Cell Neurobiology: A,

Systems Neurobiology: A,

Calculus 1: A,

Calculus 2:A, 

Probability & Statistics: A. 

(Oh and I've taken a graduate course on the FMRI & a bunch of cognitive neuroscience course work)

I'd like to apply to neuroscience programs & really leaning more towards the neurobiology aspect of neuroscience. So, my question is, do you think the biology & math coursework listed makes up for the lack of physics & chemistry?  Oh and if anyone is wondering how in the world I got into the neurobiology courses, yes they require chem and bio prerequisites however, principles of neurobiology is the prerequisite to every other neurobiology course and at the time, someone made a mistake and didn't list any prerequisites for that course so I was able to sneak in lol. 

Thanks for reading ! 

Typically you need at least basic classes in chemistry (general + organic) and physics to meet the requirements for the Neuroscience PhD programs. However, I believe schools regularly make exceptions (I know UCSF does at least) and will either allow you to forego those classes if you are from a varied background (as I would say you are) or make up the course work during your training.

I would either try to take basic chemistry and physics if you are still an undegrad or reach out to programs you are interested in with the same questions. You indubitably have the life sciences requirements (and rigorous coursework), it just depends how ticky-tacky programs are on their pre-reqs.

Thanks for input! & 

The upcoming spring semester will be my last as an undergrad & my university does this thing where they only sometimes offer the first level of a course (physics in this case) in the fall and the second in the spring. So I can't take general physics because only general physics 2 is being offered and general physics 1 is the pre-req for it. I was  however thinking about registering for general chem, though, I'd only have general chem 1 on my transcript because well, I'm graduating. 

Edited by PsySchiz

You need to email every program you are applying to. Most will have pre-reqs for admission. I don't know if they are explicitly stated on the program website. Sometimes I think they assume everyone applying for a neuro grad program was some sort of science major. Then you would have had all the lower div science classes. They might not even consider you b/c of the lack of pre-reqs. Definitely ask them before you apply. It would suck for you to have gone through all the trouble of applying and not get in anywhere because of this.

Most of the programs I've checked out state that usually admitted applicants have completed the basic natural science courses (physics, bio, calc, chem, orgo chem) . But you see I believe there are still some grey areas (my case potentially), which is why I've asked the opinions of others here. 

Edited by PsySchiz