Good GRE scores, Bad GPA...chances?

notJustin

I have good GRE scores.  with 166 V, 164 Q, and 4.5 A.  I have good Biochem Subject Test scores....93% overall.  I think I am getting really good letters and have some pretty good research experience.   However, my overall GPA is a 3.2 .... my last 66 hours is a 3.7, with straight A's last semester.  What is a reasonable school to apply to for a PhD in Molecular Biology or the Biomedical Sciences? (I have already applied, I'm just trying to gauge what my chances may be).

Your overall is like mine (3.3 overall), and your last 60 is just like mine (3.6). Your GRE scores are very good, so you should get past the filters for GPA and GRE. What kind of research experience do you have? Do you have any posters or papers?  

See, my research experience is weird.  I transferred around quite a bit, and am now and a well-respected state school (though not quite as high as somewhere like UNC Chapel Hill).   I have worked in 4 labs since January, and am still working in two.  My first lab resulted in me submitting a publication as the first of four authors, an independent project in another lab, and I took over the main project of a PhD student who left in another lab (I'm hoping to finish it and get it submitted the Journal of Virology before I graduate in the spring)...I have been doing good work, but everything good about my application has been so recent, so I'm doubtful a top-notch place will take me.

It depends on what you're calling top-notch.  

On the positive side, who cares that your successes are recent?  You got a first author publication as an undergrad (and maybe a second on the way).  Pat yourself on the back.  Plus, your scores are solid.  

What hinders you with tip-top programs is the GPA, BUT talk to your research advisor(s).  Maybe they can recommend specific POIs you should contact at the schools you applied to.  That might make all the difference for you.  With that said, I don't think a place like Harvard would come through.  But, a solid, top 20-30 definitely might.  See if you can squeeze in a poster presentation (maybe at a regional/local chapter of your professional organization) and update your schools.  But, honestly, that would be gravy.  As things stand now, I do think you have a shot.  Good luck.