Please critique my CV for Graduate Admission Application ...

ahmadka

Hi guys .. So I've spent the last 2 days making a CV especially for applying for admissions.

Please have a look and let me know for you think.

Also FYI, I'm applying for MS in Computer Science.

Please note that to ensure privacy, I've replaced all hard info with dummy data (changed names, university names, addresses, company names, locations, etc.). But all other data is actual data:

Page 1:

t5w7MLC.jpg

Page 2:

63HA85r.jpg

Page 3:

uJm3XLU.jpg

Edited by ahmadka

I think you have a pretty good profile.  Grades decent, you got a Fulbright?!, good experiences, and some extracurriculars/projects.  If I were you, I would aim for mid to top tier schools, but I also don't know much about how CS admissions work.

But also, you are applying for masters?  But don't you already have a masters?  I'm confused.

I think you have a pretty good profile.  Grades decent, you got a Fulbright?!, good experiences, and some extracurriculars/projects.  If I were you, I would aim for mid to top tier schools, but I also don't know much about how CS admissions work.

But also, you are applying for masters?  But don't you already have a masters?  I'm confused.

Thanks, and yes its a second Masters .. Long reason behind it :)

Anyways, I'm wondering if I should or should not include the Technical Skills section on Page 3 .. It's something that every software engineer's *resume* has, but I'm not sure its relevant for a CV. I'm hoping that a Computer Science professional can guide me on this ..

I would cut down the descriptions to one bullet and speak as concisely as possible. CVs, unlike resumes, don't involve lengthy descriptions. Length of the entire document does NOT matter, as your CV will grow with accumulated experiences. Look up examples of CV and try to follow their model of minimal description. I like your template a lot, though.

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought academic CVs are supposed to be between 3 - 5 pages, while resumes are supposed to be 1 to 2 pages. Am I wrong here then ?

Also, can you provide specific examples of which descriptions seem long ?

Thanks for the feedback.

I thought academic CVs are supposed to be between 3 - 5 pages, while resumes are supposed to be 1 to 2 pages. Am I wrong here then ?

Also, can you provide specific examples of which descriptions seem long ?

Usually the resume is one page; the CV can be any length depending on the experience, but at your stage I would limit it to two pages if possible.