Fall 2015 PhD Creative Writing

Slipstream Sally

Hi! 

Is anyone applying to PhD Creative Writing programs for Fall 2015? 

I applied to two fiction PhD programs for 2014 (U of Cincinnati and Georgia State U) and was not accepted to either. 

Has anyone heard first-hand praise of a PhD program? Everyone I've spoken to currently in a program says "It's good if you want to teach, but I wouldn't recommend my school." 

Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm applying to CW PhDs for poetry.  I keep hearing good things about Western Michigan University.  It's small, but rising in the ranks, as it were. Cincinnati, but you already know that one. University of Nebraska is good for poetry, but I don't know as much about fiction programs.

• 2 weeks later...

Most graduate schools are a lot of teaching and theory. There's few programs that emphasize the workshop. I know people at Cinncy and they said it was a tough program, but a very fruitful experience. Some are less rigorous than others for sure. Others have a lot more funding and good opportunities to participate in other areas aside from teaching. Some will offer assistantships for working on research projects, editing their literary journals, etc. 

I've heard good things about Texas Tech. I'm applying to schools close to home this time around. 

Here's my list:

University of North Texas 
Texas Tech
University of Houston
Oklahoma State
University of Missouri - Columbia

Pending application at Western Michigan

I applied to five programs (for poetry):

USC

Utah

UIC

Denver

Mizzou

I re-took the verbal and writing. I improved my verbal score significantly--slightly below average to slightly above. But my writing score remained the same--3.5. This sucks.

Creative folks: should I re-send these scores? A 3.5 is competent, but definitely not a 4.5 or 5.

Let me know your thoughts.

I'm not going for an MFA or anything of that sort, trying for a more strictly-English program. However, in my research of the best-fit schools for my own parameters, I DID come across several programs that specifically cited 5.0s or better on the Analytical Writing portion. Particularly in the MFA degree categories.

THAT being said! You have what you have. You improved your scores, you probably have a prolific portfolio to share (most of the programs also asked to see 25+ pages of writing samples, displaying a variety of styles). I would still apply! We hear over and OVER again: there is not ONE part that is MOST important, it is comprehensive, how you portray yourself. You may have low scores there, but utilize your personal statement and portfolio to show otherwise. I'm not a genius at the grad app thing. But from my research and personal understanding, there is always a chance! Assess and present yourself well! After all. That is what we do best! ;-) 

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to a handful of PhD in CW.  I'm a poet, and I paid a lot of attention to who was on faculty at the various places.  I'd also be very pleased to go to U of Cincinnati or Illinois State.  I've heard good things about those schools' CW programs.  In addition to poetry, I'm interested in the scholarship as well, so the PhD is a better fit for me than the MFA.  It certainly seems like you have to excel in both areas to get into the better, more sought-after programs.  

Good luck, poets and fiction writers!

I think I want to hang around here instead of the FB groups. :)

I don't think the Analytical Writing section is super crucial to most programs (they're more interested in the Verbal score from what I gather -- unless they say otherwise), or at least, perhaps not enough to retake or resend this year. I'm coming into the PhD apps from an MFA (at Michigan), so perhaps my experience is limited. Writing sample still seems to trump everything.

I'm applying to

Houston

UIC

Denver

USC

UNLV (which I only recently realized kinda just looks like a glorified fellowship, if you're only going to have one person in each genre)

I'm sending off about five apps to other types of programs (American Studies mostly) as well. Nervewracking!

I've gotten into Houston before as an MFA candidate, so really hoping that either works for me or at least doesn't work against me.

Best of luck, all!!

Hi everyone...

I'm not part of the FB group, so I'm glad we have this little corner where we can share news...

I applied to six PhD programs (fiction): Houston, FSU, UGA, Georgia State, UI-Chicago, and UW-Milwaukee.

Gulp.

My coping strategy right now is to write as much as I can, so that if indeed I'm shut out this season, I'll at least have some pages to prop me up. It's hard to concentrate, but I'm determined not to fall off the planet if things don't go as I'd like.

Best of luck to each of you!

I agree with cerena re: Analytical Writing scores. If an admissions committee digs your work, they're not going to change their mind because of something like that. I assume, at least.

I only applied to one creative PhD, USC, along with a bunch of English programs. Best of luck to everybody!

I agree with cerena re: Analytical Writing scores. If an admissions committee digs your work, they're not going to change their mind because of something like that. I assume, at least.

I only applied to one creative PhD, USC, along with a bunch of English programs. Best of luck to everybody!

I'm the same as you! Coming out of an MFA now and applied to all critical PhDs except USC, which looks like a program where they encourage serious critical work in addition to the creative. My creative/critical pursuits are connected, but I was hesitant about applying to more traditional PhD CW programs because most seem similar to what I just did (workshops, then critical and creative thesis). And I'm also trying to be practical job-wise as I want to teach...so having the MFA + a critical PhD seems like a good combo (who knows...)

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a weird thing to jump into off the cuff (I only started searching for respond dates today out of curiosity/impatience), but I've received acceptance notices in Poetry from Illinois-Chicago and Georgia.  Waiting on Denver and USC for creative, Princeton for critical, and UChicago for interdisciplinary.

Thanks!  I saw where both were on your list as well, have you heard anything yet?  If not, I know that sometimes the genres come to decisions at separate times, so I would think you'd still be in there.

Hi Enjay...sadly I've heard nothing yet from any of my schools. It's nerve-wracking, but so far I haven't toppled over into full-blown madness. We shall see what next week brings.

Best wishes for the rest of your applications. Having choices is pretty exciting (unless of course one choice is a rock and the other is a hard place), and already you have two wonderful options.

And thanks for your optimistic outlook regarding my own outcome––it helps.

When I was doing my MFA apps, it was a two-month deathmarch back and forth to the mailbox for rejection notices.  I didn't even find out that I was accepted into my one-of-eight until April 18th, so I'm definitely sympathetic to your plight right now.  Stay strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if I should assume I'm rejected if I haven't yet been contacted by UIC's Creative Writing PhD program?

As they say, it's not over till it's over. If you haven't heard anything by now (though I know I'm responding late), then you might be on some internal waiting list. Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard talk of some internal waitlist, but you may consider checking the status of your application online.  Some people are getting notices in the mail right now telling them where they stand, but a lot of people seem to have figured it out just by logging in.  Nervewracking though.  

I was notified that I'm on UIC's waitlist a couple of weeks ago...so I'm not sure if this program has a secret internal one. No idea how many others are on it, or my position. However, I'll likely take myself off the list next week if all goes well at FSU's Open House. I'm fiction, btw.

Thanks Enjay! I got the email right before heading into my waiter job, and for the first the night in a long time, I didn't feel like I had iron chains on my ankles.

Congratulations again to you, too. Looking forward to hearing where you'll end up when you're ready to post. Getting into both UIC and UGA is fantastic, but it probably doesn't make for an easy decision...

(laughs) yeah I'm in food service too and I happened to get both of my acceptances at the beginning of my "weekend."  Still floating by the time I got to work two days later, but perhaps only an inch above the ground  ^_^

The decision isn't easy at all.  I've done research, consulted outside sources I trust, talked to the DGS for both briefly, spent an hour chatting with the poetry leads for both schools in the past week, and am no closer to getting it all straightened out.  I'm extremely impressed with both, don't think that I can make a wrong choice at all, but the fact remains that I will have to make a choice and it may come down to peripheral factors.