Fall 2015 PhD Creative Writing

Slipstream Sally

I took the UIC offer in the end, but otherwise have nothing but nice things to say about Georgia, their program, and the people I interacted with down there, so anyone looking at this thread for next cycle, they have my endorsement and are probably easier to get into than UIC, which seems to only take one or perhaps two people per genre.

• 2 weeks later...

I was notified early last month that I was on the wait list.  I was told I would find out in mid-April if I would be accepted or rejected.  I am looking at my status everyday, but it still says "wait list."  Does anyone have any idea if all the spots are taken or what my chances would be getting in at this point?

I was notified early last month that I was on the wait list.  I was told I would find out in mid-April if I would be accepted or rejected.  I am looking at my status everyday, but it still says "wait list."  Does anyone have any idea if all the spots are taken or what my chances would be getting in at this point?

Which school are you talking about?  Also, what genre might be helpful too.

Ah.  Well, if you were poetry I would have told you that I took the one and maybe only spot, but I'm not privy to what's going on for the fiction side, other than one is supposed to give decisions by April 15th one way or the other.  Maybe try e-mailing the director, Cris Mazza, and see what she has to say?

Ah.  Well, if you were poetry I would have told you that I took the one and maybe only spot, but I'm not privy to what's going on for the fiction side, other than one is supposed to give decisions by April 15th one way or the other.  Maybe try e-mailing the director, Cris Mazza, and see what she has to say?

Also, congrats on your acceptance!

Huzzah!  Life still left!  

Yeah, it's a bit strange, I don't think that I knew applying that UIC was as selective as they are, I just saw the 9-10 PhD acceptances and didn't know that those would be split between CW and Crit, leaving 1-2 per genre.  It would be nice to know at least one of the cohort going in instead of nervously being the one glared at for sneaking in and nabbing one of the prized spots.

So, I got an email yesterday saying something happened and someone had to defer admission, so there's a spot open. They asked me if I had plans for the fall and to get back to them ASAP. So, I guess I have a chance again. What a roller coaster!

Wow.  It's hard to imagine for me because in my MFA I got my one acceptance out of eight or so in mid-April and in the PhD, I got two acceptances in early February before I could even start worrying.  I have no idea what it must be like to be stuck in that awkward waitlist limbo, but good luck to you.  It seems like they've had a harder time wrangling their prose applicants this year.

Thanks for the good luck! This is hard to deal with. I've always hated filling out applications, so I've never applied to more than one school at a time, but I've gotten into every school I've applied to, thankfully! So, this is the first time I've ever not been accepted right off, so that's hard to handle, but then to be wait listed, rejected, then maybe have a chance again, it's kind of driving me crazy. But to have hope again is a good thing, so I'll keep hoping. And if I don't get in, like you said, there's always next year. ;)