Need some help understanding an SOP prompt

Hi guys .. So I've written and finalized (I think!) a full 2 page version of my SOP, however I still have to write a shorter 500 word SOP for the few universities which require this.

In the case of North Carolina State University, their prompt for their CS masters program states that the following points need to be addressed within 500 words:

Highlights of your qualifications
Reasons for seeking a graduate degree in Computer Science
Reasons for applying to N.C. State

I understand the 2nd and 3rd points, but I'm having difficulty understanding the purpose of the 1st point. I mean, can't that be addressed in the academic CV which I'm attaching with my application ? After all, the whole purpose of an academic CV is to "highlight your qualifications". So why are they asking for it here as well ?

Edited by ahmadka

Hmm...since you only have 500 words to work with, I'm wondering if they ask this so they can get a sense of what YOU feel to be your most impressive qualifications versus all the other stuff that is on your CV. 

Or maybe they read this first before reading your CV or longer SOP? 

So basically I should just do exactly what they're asking ? That is, things like, "In 2008 I was awarded XYZ, and then I went onto do XYZ at XYZ. I researched on XYZ concepts, and did 2 publications, etc." ??

It just seems really stupid to do this because they can easily see all this info from my CV ..

I would try to highlight some deeper aspect of the projects/awards/experiences that are already listed on your CV, so as not to waste precious space.

For instance, one thing I did was talk specifically about the research methods I used for one of the research projects I listed on the CV. Another thing I did was explain a unique facet of my undergraduate experience & institution which would not be readily apparent upon reading "Bachelor of Arts, Hoozawhatsits University, Year, GPA". This was especially important because I went to a no-name school, which actually has some serious propers owed to it (IMHO).

Hmm ..

Question :: How would you start the first paragraph, in which you're probably going to discuss your qualification highlights ? Do you open with some cheesy though provoking sentence, or just get right to it with not punchy expressions ?

I did neither: I got right to it, with punchy expressions, that were not cheesy or even terribly thought-provoking. I worded that opening sentence to the part where I highlighted my undergrad with some creative, punchy language. It was not verbose, it was not pedantic, it was not abstract, it got to the point, but with some creativity.

It was my second paragraph, technically, but it was my first "real" paragraph. The opening paragraph was a succinct: "I am applying for XX program at XX school in the XX emphasis and this is my statement, which includes...." in so many words.