Optional statement of diversity in application?

Hey, guys.

Quite a few of my applications ask for an optional statement of diversity. I'm scared. I am a minority female, but I wonder if this statement is given as much weight as the personal statement?

Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

They're often used for funding consideration, from what I've read up in my own programs.

As for tips, also from what I've read, don't whine about your past, but do indicate any particular hardships you overcame (and likely continue to overcome as a minority in the U.S.). For some people, it's overcoming racism or other forms of discrimination; for some people it's overcoming having no money to buy food, and so working two jobs; for some people, it's persevering and achieving college success despite growing up in a community, family, or other environment which did not support you or even actively discouraged you. Other hardships might be having or being a single parent, parents divorcing (although this seems silly to me - isn't it something like 50% of our generation's parents got divorces?), close family members or friends passing away at a critical age in your development, kicking cancer's a** .... really, it's your life, so you know what unique (or non-unique) crud you've had to pull yourself through to get where you are now.

Things I've read to generally stay away from are mental health issues; demeaning your undergraduate institution, its resources, or its faculty (even if they were/are crappy); anything that hints at your immaturity or instability; aggrandizing your plans/impact on the world. 

This is all from reading these forums here, and from reading the links found through these forums :)

Good luck, youngcharlie!