How much does it matter where you attended undergrad?

poliscistudent

I would like to apply to top-tier schools to get my PhD, but I attend a tier-4 undergrad. I do have some research experience and an excellent GPA (and guaranteed good LORs), but my ECs aren't outstanding (I do have a few, though). How much will my undergraduate university affect me?

Thanks. Which schools offer MAs in poli sci? The graduate programs I've checked out so far only offer PhDs.

Just about every single tier-1 university should offer a PhD in political science. It's one of the biggest fields in academics.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a little-known university and will be attending a top-25 PhD program in political science this fall. Don't reject yourself before you apply, keep your head up and give it a go. You can always apply to half PhD, half Masters programs if you want to be safe.

I went to a little-known university and will be attending a top-25 PhD program in political science this fall. Don't reject yourself before you apply, keep your head up and give it a go. You can always apply to half PhD, half Masters programs if you want to be safe.

Agreed!

I went to a university that nobody outside of my home state has ever heard of. I got into a very good school for my MA, and am now studying under a dissertation advisor who is a legend in the field.

You are the master of your own destiny. Do what you need to do (with integrity and honesty) to get to the top, and people will recognize your hard work, no matter where you did your undergrad.