History of Homosexuality?

HadrianJones

Hello all,

I am very interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in History. I am particularly interested in the history of homosexuality. Does anyone know of graduate programs that have faculty that specialize in gay history or that have notable gay history programs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What era/region are you looking at?

Chauncey is at Yale and he still has to be the go-to guy in terms of modern US gay sub-cultures. Marc Stein is at York university in Toronto and his book on gay Philadelphia is pretty good. Queens in Canada has both Paul Jackson (who is junior but fantastic) and Karen Dubinsky if you want to do modern Canada.

Beyond that it might be worth looking at queer studies programs and seeing if they have a more historical focus/historians cross-listed and look at the history programs at that school.

• 1 month later...

I'll second Carolina08's recommendation of James Green at Brown. And add that while he's focused on Brazil, some of his more recent work has moved in a transnational direction. Either way you cut it he's great.

I'll also make a pitch for a great historian at a lesser known program, John D'Emilo. He's works on gay and lesbian studies in the history program at the University of Illinois - Chicago. UIC also has History of Work, Race, and Gender in the Urban World (WRGUW) program which seems pretty interesting. That being said the funding is not great and it's dicey going somewhere for only one prof.

I'll second Carolina08's recommendation of James Green at Brown. And add that while he's focused on Brazil, some of his more recent work has moved in a transnational direction. Either way you cut it he's great.

I'll also make a pitch for a great historian at a lesser known program, John D'Emilo. He works on gay and lesbian studies in the history program at the University of Illinois - Chicago. UIC also has History of Work, Race, and Gender in the Urban World (WRGUW) program which seems pretty interesting. That being said the funding is not great and it's dicey going somewhere for only one prof.

Info on D'Emilo

http://www.uic.edu/depts/hist/johndemilioprofile.htm

http://www.uic.edu/depts/hist/Faculty/demilio.html

Info on History of Work, Race, and Gender in the Urban World (WRGUW)

http://www.uic.edu/depts/hist/work.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'll also make a pitch for a great historian at a lesser known program, John D'Emilo. He works on gay and lesbian studies in the history program at the University of Illinois - Chicago. UIC also has History of Work, Race, and Gender in the Urban World (WRGUW) program which seems pretty interesting. That being said the funding is not great and it's dicey going somewhere for only one prof.

Just wanted to point out John D'Emilio is retiring. I spoke to him last year when I was exploring programs and he said he would not be taking anymore students.