Meeting a professor about being a summer student, tips?

scientist410

Hello,

So I managed to set up a meeting between a professor and I, so I wanted to you guys here if you have any tips for that could help seal the deal for the following summer?

Thanks

Could you specify your objectives for this meeting? Is this for a graduate program, or is this for summer research (as an undergrad, postgrad,etc)?

The more specific you are, the more likely you are to get helpful responses :)

Oh sorry I was in the middle of studying for a final when the thought of doing this popped in my head  :P . I am meeting him for the possibility of being a summer research student as an undergraduate.  The only thing is my first year grades aren't exactly a great reflection of who I am and what I want to do and surprisingly he was still willing to meet lol (even though all the rest said no). So one thing I remembered I should do is read some of his previously published articles as a start.

Yes, read at least the most recent paper his lab has published, but the more the better. Be willing to explain why you want to work with him (the more sincere the reason the better). Have a few questions prepared, the more thoughtful they are the better. Dress nicely, academia isn't nearly as formal as the private sector and you are still a student so standards are lower, so if you can approach business casual you'll be fine. And be enthusiastic and eager.

Yes, read at least the most recent paper his lab has published, but the more the better. Be willing to explain why you want to work with him (the more sincere the reason the better). Have a few questions prepared, the more thoughtful they are the better. Dress nicely, academia isn't nearly as formal as the private sector and you are still a student so standards are lower, so if you can approach business casual you'll be fine. And be enthusiastic and eager.

Great advice from Vene. I would add once you actually start: show up consistently, be engaged, take notes. You'd be surprised how many visiting students fail at all 3 of these.

I've been a summer student that volunteered at a POI's lab. My situation is slightly different than yours in that I was not intending to stay a summer at his lab when I first chatted with him.

However, here are a few tips/things to consider:

As Vene said, do some background reading on what the lab has published.

Why do you want to work in this lab?

What can you contribute to the lab (intellectually, skill-wise, etc.)?

Is there another professor that can advocate for you (the POI wanted recommendation letters from profs that I've researched with)?

I can add more, but I have to leave for something. Feel free to PM me.

One thing to add: Make sure to communicate why you are interested in research/joining a lab in general. It'll be much easier to get a position if you can actually communicate that you are interested in doing research, rather than just checking a box on an application.