Directing MFAs?

clementiney

Hi clementiney,

Yes, actually! I was just going to start the same thread! 

I'm applying for the first time this year, and trying to be fairly ambitious about it. I've applied to Yale and sent common packets to six schools for the URTAs (CalArts, UCLA, FSU, Ohio, Indiana, Temple). I'm working on DePaul (due Monday) and plan to apply to Brown, Carnegie Mellon, UCSD, and Boston.

What about you?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

I'm so glad about this thread! I've applied to CMU, Brown, Yale, DePaul, and a few through URTA. Currently waiting to hear back on if I made it to the next round. Also working on my monologue for the Brown interview. Good luck to everyone. 

Edited by vitality

Good luck guys! Vitality, my list is almost identical to yours.

My apps are sent in for the URTAs, as well as Yale, Brown, DePaul, CMU, and UCSD. Last one is Boston, which I'll try to finish up soon.

I've only heard back from Yale (got an interview! I'm flying out there next week.), but a lot of them were just sent off.

Let us know when you guys hear back!

Congrats to everyone on your interviews! Columbia was originally on my list but, alas, I had to cut a program because of application fee woes.  Clementiney has a good point about holding off on the despair. Plus Yale's deadline was earlier this year than it has been previously so maybe they're trying out something new and staggering interviews or something. Chin-up and break legs! 

Also, when you consider the sheer volume of Yale applicants, there is no way in hell they considered every application in ten days. They might stagger interviews, and they also might see how their first round interviews go before seeing if they need more options? I'm just throwing stuff out, I have no idea how these things work.

I do love how this forum can help other applicants break the horrible radio silence: it's really helpful to know when somebody gets an interview, offer, or rejection.

Have any of you guys applied to directing programs in previous years? What sort of questions come up in interviews?

It's true, bluebane (which my computer just tried to autocorrect to bluebonnet), the radio silence is pretty terrible sometimes. I'm glad I found this forum!

On another note, I'm interested to hear what kinds of projects everyone is working on (or has worked on). 

I got the same email from URTA -- super vague but still exciting.

vitality, I'll also be at the URTAs in Chicago -- let me know if you want to grab coffee the day before!

clementiney, when is your CalArts interview? It might be the same weekend // day as the URTAs. 

I doubt they mind if you email the admissions office directly and not a professor. The confirmation email I got from DePaul after I submitted my application says to contact them with any questions or concerns. It also says they will give at least two weeks notice before the interview. For me that means I might not know for a few more weeks since the Chicago interviews are Feb.14.

Been a crazy couple of days here -- thought I'd report in case any of the info is useful for you guys.

- Had my interview with Yale yesterday. It was very casual, just talking to Liz Diamond in her office for an hour. She's one of the warmest, most gracious people I've ever been interviewed by. Some numbers that are interesting: from the hundreds (I'm guessing 400-500?) applications for directors, they selected about 45 people to come out to the campus to interview. From these, they're going to select a handful of finalists to call back in February, and 3 of them will be selected for admission.

- Heard back from Carnegie Mellon to schedule an interview

- Heard back from DePaul late last night, inviting me to a "finalist" audition/interview in Los Angeles

- Haven't heard anything from UCSD

- URTA schedules should be sent on Monday

GETTING CRAZY! How is everybody doing?