Directing MFAs?

clementiney

Applied for Carnegie Mellon, Brown, UCSD, and UT-Austin. Haven't heard back from UCSD or Austin, got a rejection from Brown, and got asked to attend a final interview at Carnegie Mellon - which I'm pretty crazy excited about! Now I just have to figure out how I'm getting there and where I'm staying and all that. 

It was just me and one other guy at the Los Angeles DePaul callback. What about in Chicago?

And man, nobody  I've heard from has heard back from UCSD -- strange that they're so quiet.

Yeah, nobody I know has heard from UCSD either. Odd. 

Hi there directors, I've been lurking on this forum when the PhD forum hasn't had anything new for a while. I'm visiting UCSD now, and I just heard some news that might explain the delayed response.

Apparently there has been some position shuffling in the directing department, and who will be the chair of the department is still undecided. The chair of the whole theatre/dance department is acting interim chair right now. I heard that no one left the program, just changing positions, so that might expect the delay.

Best wishes to all!

Nice to see some new faces on this thread!

I think we can surmise from reports from DePaul interviews that there are 10-12 finalists. Did any of you ask about when we might expect to hear the results from DePaul?

Going out to visit Indiana and Ohio this weekend. Let me know if anyone has any insight on the programs!

@Bacchanalia, thanks for the info on UCSD.

Hope it went well @Bluebane! And welcome to the new friends. 

I'm thinking shouldn't be much longer for DePaul. The site says status letters will be communicated in writing mid-March with mid-April response date. When I asked at my interview they said it would go out in "about a month",  and that was Feb. 14. I'm assuming they will be mailed via post.  

I'm very curious about UCI. Last I heard was she would be in touch soon, but that was right after URTA and it's been nothing but silence since. Has anyone heard anything? I feel like I'm waiting for them to drop the ax at this point. 

Edited by vitality

Hi vitality,

UCI has contacted people for campus visits by now -- she emailed right after the URTAs. I have a couple friends going down this week for that visit / callback. Outlook not so good :(

Ohio and Indiana visits were really fun -- I've got a mixed bags of opinions on Ohio and am very excited about Indiana. They both said to expect results in about a week.

So directors, let's check in! What are you remaining prospects for this year and how would you rank them?

I'm assuming schools I've heard nothing from (Temple, UCSD) are out of the picture.

So for me, it's down to:

1. Indiana University (love the program, love the campus and facilities, faculty and students seem great -- feels like an awesome fit.)

2. DePaul (pretty much my dream school but the lack of funding is brutal)

3. Ohio University (mixed feelings on school and location, probably would pass on an offer)

Already rejected from: Yale, Brown

Presumably rejected from: CMU, Temple, UCSD 

No longer interested in: FSU, UCLA, UCI

Where are you guys at?

Applied: Yale, Brown, CMU, UCI, OU, DePaul

Interviewed with UCI, FSU, Brown, CMU and OU, DePaul

Formal rejections from: Yale, Brown

Assumed rejections from: CMU, OU, UCI

Just got word that I was wait listed at DePaul. Will definitely accept if offered.

I was bummed about UCI but alas, I guess it wasn't in the cards. CMU would have been nice but I was completely turned off by the messy interview process and how they handled it. The other schools I met with at URTA were sort of meh.

I feel good about the process though and am definitely better equipped to apply again if DePaul doesn't come through. Especially since there are several schools I didn't apply to this year because they weren't recruiting or the application fee piggy bank ran dry. I don't know if I'll do URTA though.

Edited by vitality