Funding for Rochester Joint PhD in Linguistics & BCS!

isilya

Hi all,

I got this email forwarded to me yesterday -- I'm probably sabotaging myself by telling so many people about this, but I think it's a great opportunity and that some of us would be very interested!!!

"Runner, Jeffrey" <
>
Subject: 
Please let interested students know about Rochester PhD funding opportunity in experiment syntax/semantics.
Date: 
December 11, 2014 at 6:22:30 AM PST
To: 
"Runner, Jeffrey" <
>

Dear colleagues,

I have funding for 1-2 PhD students interested in pursuing an interdepartmental PhD in Brain & Cognitive Sciences and Linguistics. Interested students should apply through BCS and mention an interest in the joint degree program with Linguistics in their cover letter. See below for additional information. DEADLINE: 
January 1, 2015

Best,

Jeff Runner

--
The department of Brain & Cognitive Sciences and the department of Linguistics at the University of Rochester invite applications from students interested in pursuing a joint PhD in Brain & Cognitive Sciences and Linguistics. The department of Linguistics (
) combines strengths in formal linguistics--syntax, semantics, pragmatics, phonetics and phonology--with experimental and empirical methodologies. The department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences (
) combines strengths in language research--language processing, language acquisition, brain and language--with vision, and neuroscience, which includes computational neuroscience, learning and plasticity. The language researchers in these departments--along with those in Computer Science--constitute Rochester's Center for Language Sciences. We are particularly interested in applicants who want to investigate the formal syntactic and semantic properties of language structure using experimental and empirical techniques. Students interested in the joint Brain & Cognitive Sciences/Linguistics PhD program should apply through the Brain & Cognitive Sciences department (
), no later than 
January 1, 2015
. Please mention in your application your interest in pursuing the joint degree with Linguistics. For further information contact Jeff Runner (
).