Future I/O applicant with low GPA - do I have a shot

Psychman

Hi Everyone,  I am a Junior needing some advice from experienced applicants.  I am a white male, from the Northeast.  I am extremely involved in research and have been since freshman year, specializing in researching PTSD and its impact on the workplace. I am the first undergrad in 14 years to receive a grant from my University for my research and hope to be able to publish my results.  This summer I am fortunate to also have received an internship in I/O PSychology in the HR Department of a large Healthcare organization in the Boston area.

My barrier is, my GPA is 3.17, hoping to reach 3.2 by application time. I have not taken my GRE's, but standardized testing tends to be difficult for me, I am hoping for 150 scores based upon how I did on the SATs. (I am dyslexic)  Many of the programs I am researching seem to have an average GPA/GRE significantly higher than mine.

Is there a hollistic approach to admissions in this area or will my GPA eliminate my application without even a closer look?

**  Edited to include that I am planning to apply for Masters programs.

Edited by Psychman

This varies by program, but I think that research experience/fit is the most important thing professors are looking for.  That said, your GPA will be a hurdle.  Make sure you reach out to potential professors you want to work with ahead of time and establish connections with them before applications are due.  Cast a wide net, and apply to as many schools as you can afford and have an genuine interest in attending - don't cap yourself based on geography.

In the mean time, make the most of your time and push your GPA up as much as possible.  Work on getting a publication and/or poster.  The internship is a plus and a good thing to do, but if you're aiming for a PhD program, research is going to be the focus more-so than industry experience so put your energy there.

(Spoiler: my GPA was not high either [but high GREs], and extensive research experience helped me overcome that.)

• 4 weeks later...

I think for I/O, it's definitely possible to overcome (clinical on the other hand...maybe not). I've received one on-campus interview for UIowa's social psychology PhD program (ranked around 30-35), and I have a low GPA. It's still early in the cycle, so I expect to get at least one or two more interviews.

However, I have two 1st author posters at SPSP, and two 3rd author posters at SPSP and SSM on my CV, in addition to be co-author on 3 manuscripts "in preparation." I am 1st author on one, 2nd author on another, and 3rd author on the third. My overall GPA is 3.1, although my psychology GPA is 3.7, and upper-level psychology course GPA is 3.9, which I made sure to emphasize.

I also am extremely lucky to come from one of the top 3 social psych programs, so my 3 recommendations came from HUGELY influential professors.

I think for GPA, you might get automatically cut if you're below 3.0 (the same way they automatically cut for GRE scores), but you can definitely make up for a 3.1 with research experience. I know someone who got into Georgia Tech I/O for a PhD, and based on presentations/papers/recommenders, she does not look as good on paper.

Some of the programs I applied to looked at grades in coursework in the major as well as overall GPA.  Hopefully you've done well in psychology courses (or business/HR courses?)  Master's programs do tend to have a lower bar for GPA and GRE scores.  However, the better master's programs are competitive and accepted students often have around a 3.5 or higher.  (See SIOP.org for a listing.)

I don't know how important research fit is for a master's program in I/O, as many master's programs don't have as strong a research component.  I'm not saying it's not important, but I'm thinking it is probably less important than for PhD programs.  Of course, this may vary widely across programs.  However, the fact that you have solid research experience including posters/presentations will help you - it shows you are likely to be able to complete a thesis.

You may want to keep in mind that not only is 3.0 a cut-off for consideration in many graduate programs, but often anything below a 3.0 once you are in the program is considered failing.  Remember, it's not just about getting in.  If you're accepted, you'll have two years where you will have to do extensive reading/writing at a higher level than what undergrad demands of you.  Or possibly you've already addressed those problems that caused your low GPA, and if so, then disregard this paragraph.  :)

All that said, if you are going to apply, please apply to the schools you want to go to, regardless of what their "average accepted GPAs and GREs" are listed as.  Don't assume that any place is out of reach entirely.  Apply to a range of programs. 

Best of luck to you! 

• 4 weeks later...

My situation is just at bad (if not worst). I am a senior and have a 3.05 gpa with gre scores of 148/147/3.5 (took it twice, other scores were even more shameful). Been in school for nearly a decade so my gpa won't budge. I also have 2 years of i/o research experience (4 posters, 2 to siop). Knowing that i/o masters is getting increasingly competitive, I recently applied to 10 masters programs:

Hofstra

Roosevelt

New Haven

Valdosta

CSU San Bernardino

Louisiana Tech

West Florida

Baltimore

Houston-Clear Lake

Touro College

Please provide any input if you have insight on anything about these programs. I would like to know what my chances are of getting into at least one program?

Thanks.

Edited by MSIOP2015

• 10 months later...

I am happy to report that I applied early to my first choice program where I can save on room and board and also get in state tuition.  I was just accepted!  I won't be sending in applications for the other schools as this was my first choice!  Salem State University in Massachusetts.  Great program and offers a full semester internship as part of the curriculum.

Thank you all for your advice.  The Department Head met with me and was extremely interested in my job at a halfway house as a residential counselor as well as my internship and research experience.  In some cases, GPA and GREs are not the only things that matter!

My stats at time of application were:

GPA:  3.2, but on the rise

GRE: V: 157, Q: 147, W: 4.5

By the way, MSIOP2015, I had New Haven and Hofstra on my list as well, but also some FLA and NC schools that were total reaches due to my stats.  Based on their high acceptance rates in past years I think you have a good shot!