Does it matter where you get your Ed.D.?

YNWA

I've been accepted to two Ed.D. programs.  One is a private school and would cost me around 80k, but is well-known, well-respected, and has an extensive alumni network.  The other is very cheap and I could probably pay for it without loans.  However, the second program is not well known with a very small alumni network.  Both programs are regionally accredited.

So I guess my question is this: Is the alumni network and noteriety of the big name school worth the huge amount of debt, or is the debt-free no-name school a better route?

My professional goals are essentially to continue to move up through my district in administrative positions, eventually reaching the level of Asst. Sup., and possibly working for a county.

At one time, my sister was accepted to Harvard MBA program which gave her no scholarship, and a very top state school MBA program which gave her a free ride. She chose the latter option for obvious financial reasons. She came to regret her decision as people in her workplace were very hierarchical and marginalized her for not having the most elite degree, as many of them did. Granted, this was in a business environment and not in education. However, education can be very elitist as well. You mentioned you wanted to work in the education public sector so I don't see the name of the school mattering as much in this case. Can I ask what your specialization in the Ed.D is? 

Given your career aspirations, I'd go with the less expensive option.  Unless you want to move to a new geography, do something radically different in education or enter academia, the loan debt from the elite private is just not going to provide good return on investment.