online masters

this is the list i have so far for schools that have online option

california state university northridge

idaho state university meridian

university of wisconsin eau claire

university of vermont

im from canada so im now leaning towards an online degree because i have certain family obligations here which are hard to leave. 

if anyone has more schools id appreciate any additions to the list.

also any advice on online masters? do jobs look down on online degrees? if it was a choice between my online degree and someones actual school degree would i lose the job?

kinda like i hear the university of phoenix online school is not exactly held in high regard.... 

and if anyone is in an online program right now would love to hear some opinions as wel. is it hard to focus? considering that you dont have to show up to class, etc

any advice is appreciated

thanks

Edited by alissavar

I have heard from one slp working in a school that her boss would automatically throw out online masters degree resumes over people who had gotten an in person education for their masters. It might not be the case everywhere and Canada may not care as well due to understanding you have less local options. I hope someone on here can give you an opposite review! Also maybe your clinical year can offset the online degree and make you more appealing to any nay Sayers.

I have heard from one slp working in a school that her boss would automatically throw out online masters degree resumes over people who had gotten an in person education for their masters. It might not be the case everywhere and Canada may not care as well due to understanding you have less local options. I hope someone on here can give you an opposite review! Also maybe your clinical year can offset the online degree and make you more appealing to any nay Sayers.

her boss sounds great ;)

but thank you

University of South Carolina and East Carolina University also have online programs.  There are a few more, but they start cohorts every 2 years.  You can search them on ASHA edfind, go to 'browse' and there's an option for schools that offer distance classes.

I don't know how a potential employer would know it was an online degree unless you pointed it out. 

Good luck!  I have to do online as well, since I have family obligations that keep me in a rural area far away (5 hours!) from the nearest physical program.  You still have to do clinicals, and you have to find them yourself in your area.  I think that can be a plus because then you get to work with people who may hire you, as opposed to a university clinic where there's little chance of a job after graduation.   

Nova Southeastern in Florida has an online program.  Also consider hybrid programs. These are programs in which you go to the actual university once or twice over the duration of the program.  While it may be inconvenient for your current situation, it can be a back up.  Consider Eastern New Mexico Univ., Northern Arizona Univ, and Western Kentucky for hybrids.

Nova Southeastern in Florida has an online program.  Also consider hybrid programs. These are programs in which you go to the actual university once or twice over the duration of the program.  While it may be inconvenient for your current situation, it can be a back up.  Consider Eastern New Mexico Univ., Northern Arizona Univ, and Western Kentucky for hybrids.

thank you for those i heard of it but i assumed the visiting university was part of every online masters. good to know

University of South Carolina and East Carolina University also have online programs.  There are a few more, but they start cohorts every 2 years.  You can search them on ASHA edfind, go to 'browse' and there's an option for schools that offer distance classes.

I don't know how a potential employer would know it was an online degree unless you pointed it out. 

Good luck!  I have to do online as well, since I have family obligations that keep me in a rural area far away (5 hours!) from the nearest physical program.  You still have to do clinicals, and you have to find them yourself in your area.  I think that can be a plus because then you get to work with people who may hire you, as opposed to a university clinic where there's little chance of a job after graduation.   

thats true and i already have a few places lined up for that so that would be good

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like a person who is unfair. As far as I can remember these online SLP programs are fully credentialed by ASHA so if ASHA stands by them and approves them then what is the problem? 

I would look at Distance Education programs versus Online programs. I'm currently attending the University of South Carolina Distance Education program, and we get all the same content as the on campus students. We have to watch lectures from the professors each week, just like on campus. We have the same assignments and proctored exams. We still have to do the graduate research project required by ASHA, and we still have to go to campus for several weeks to complete practicum. The only difference between us and the on-campus program is that we watch lectures on our computers and TVs rather than sitting in a classroom so that we can still work. Online programs are much different as it is pretty specifically "online" and is run very differently I believe. Also, like somebody mentioned above, an employer won't know the difference between a Distance Education program and an on campus program unless you make them aware of it because you get the same degree with both.

• 1 month later...

I'm also looking into both full time and part time Online and hybrid programs for next year. Here is the link to ASHA's site for entire degree Online programs!

http://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?DE=ENTIREDEGREE

Unfortunately, you have to read each programs information on their website carefully as some cohorts are only start every odd year, some require 4 months on campus. Etc.

SOME ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO SERVE YOU IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCY. IF YOU LIVE IN MARYLAND YOU WILL RUN ACROSS THIS A LOT. IT'S AWFUL. YOU WILL NEED TO CONFERENCE WITH EACH SCHOOL NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE TO CONFIRM THEY SERVE THE STATE YOU RESIDE IN.

From my research, Eastern New Mexico is the cheapest at 221 a credit hour if you take 6 or less credits. They are accredited and ranked 169. Here are my top picks:

University of Northern Colorado Ranked #84

Fall Admission

Part time, 3 years

2-3 week requirement on campus

33K total program cost

Eastern New Mexico University #169

Spring Summer and Fall Admission

Part time or full time

4 month on campus requirememt

12K total part time cost, 25K total Full time cost

OTHER programs: Western Kentucky, California State University Northbridge, and Wisconsin Eau Claire

I've taken all my leveling classes through Eastern New Mexico U. While it was fine for leveling, I did not apply for there for grad school, even though I need a part time or distance option. Many of the instructors only provided a course outline without any online lectures or even powerpoint presentations. Basically they gave a list of reading assignments and tests of your retention. I didn't mind this format, but if you aren't interested in teaching yourself then ENMU might not be a good fit. A few professors were non-responsive or a bit defensive when I asked questions clarifying their assignments or grading/grading rubrics. (I don't know how many of the undergrad professors teach grad classes.)

Also, since there usually weren't video lectures, I often didn't know how to pronounce things that were content specific. There were times during my shadowing that the SLP would mention something and it would take me a bit to realize what she was referring to as I had been mispronouncing it in my head while I read the texts. (Examp: I didn't know the CASL was pronounced as a word. I had always thought it was the C-A-S-L test because I'd never heard anyone refer to it only saw it written.) 

I'm also looking into both full time and part time Online and hybrid programs for next year. Here is the link to ASHA's site for entire degree Online programs!

http://www.asha.org/edfind/results.aspx?DE=ENTIREDEGREE

Unfortunately, you have to read each programs information on their website carefully as some cohorts are only start every odd year, some require 4 months on campus. Etc.

SOME ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO SERVE YOU IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCY. IF YOU LIVE IN MARYLAND YOU WILL RUN ACROSS THIS A LOT. IT'S AWFUL. YOU WILL NEED TO CONFERENCE WITH EACH SCHOOL NO MATTER WHERE YOU LIVE TO CONFIRM THEY SERVE THE STATE YOU RESIDE IN.

From my research, Eastern New Mexico is the cheapest at 221 a credit hour if you take 6 or less credits. They are accredited and ranked 169. Here are my top picks:

University of Northern Colorado Ranked #84

Fall Admission

Part time, 3 years

2-3 week requirement on campus

33K total program cost

Eastern New Mexico University #169

Spring Summer and Fall Admission

Part time or full time

4 month on campus requirememt

12K total part time cost, 25K total Full time cost

OTHER programs: Western Kentucky, California State University Northbridge, and Wisconsin Eau Claire

University of northern Colorado online is also much more difficult to get into for the online distance program. I did my BA there and the masters program in general gets 800 applications for the few spots. The head of the program was my advisor and told me it was the more difficult program to get into.

Hi! I'm not doing an online program, but Im an undergrad at ECU and I'll be attending their on-campus program in the fall. From what I can tell, all the professors are very helpful to those completing their degree online, because they realize how difficult it can be. I know our department head takes a lot of pride in the online program, which I think is cool. I don't know if this is any help but I thought I'd bring it up!

I got accepted to ENMU and I'm wondering what their program is like.  I'm struggling with my decision regarding the oncampus portion because it is not offered in summer.