Four page letter

Hi All! Quick probably paranoid and stupid question, but as a Christmas present maybe you can help me out:

One of my letter writers is my MA advisor and the head of my department. He is a very cold, very old-school German guy, who never seemed to like me very much, and never gave me a grade higher than an A-, and who was always very critical. However, I kept a good relationship with him when I left the MA program, I know his wife (who he adores) really well, I always make it a point to update him on my work since I left, and I think he's proud of the path I'm on now, which is in no small part thanks to him.

My question is this: I used interfolio (a letter-sending service) for all of my apps this year, and I saw the length of the letter (but not the content). He wrote four pages! This is a good thing right? I think it is. I hope it is. But he has always been so cold and unenthusiastic and critical face to face. Is it possible he would write four negative pages? One of my friends told me "There is no way I'd waste four pages talking about someone I didn't like." The four page letter is a good thing right? 

Thank you all so much for your kind reassurance. I hope it is good, but I'm scared it could be bad. Does anyone have any experience of a long bad letter? Or of a seemingly cold advisor writing a great letter?

Merry holidays, all!

While not impossible, I think it is highly unlikely that he wrote four negative pages. I'd take it as a good sign. (I have experience with seemingly cold old-school German advisors; maybe it's something in the water there. But I know they wrote me very good letters, based on feedback I got from the people who read them. I have no idea how long they were, though).

You should have absolutely nothing to worry about.  I have two letter writers that did multiple pages, and the longest one - almost 5 pages(!) was from a professor that I have a similar relationship as you do.  She is tough on the outside, but genuinely cares about my wellbeing and progress, and maintains a somewhat personal connection, which is what it sounds like for you.  My guess is he is a good letter writer that spent time articulating the various work you have done and gave insight to it all.  You should be just fine.  And yes, no one is going to formulate a 4 page negative letter.....if you got a paragraph or two, I would be worried.