Applying to get a second masters. Normal?

Illini11

Hey guys this is my first post here, I have a question about grad school. Right now I am a Senior at UIUC, if you can't tell by my name. So here is my situation for you. My GPA is not as great as I would like it to be for some schools I am considering for a masters in MIS, GIS or Finance.  There is time for me to brink my GPA more, but here is what I am thinking.

I started out as a biomedical engineering major + premed, but got a few Cs and a D. So I changed my major to Geographic Information Science (GIS), which was not easier but way different material (more tech and CS based).

I was thinking about doing a masters in a decent school ( I think I can get in) and then apply for a another masters in a related field at a more prestigious school. I know my undergrad school is very well known.

If I do well in grad school, will the admissions committee put more weight into my graduate transcript or undergraduate transcript?

How does this plan sound? 

Thanks

Why would you do that? Having two masters degrees in related fields is strange. I could see it if you were looking for a career change (say, going from GIS to business), but that's not what this sounds like at all.

I think they're going to be far more interested in why you're applying for a second masters degree. This question is far more important than either undergrad or graduate GPA.

Also, chill out, it's an internet forum, not getting a response in 40 minutes is not a big deal, especially on Christmas Eve.

Edited by Vene

If you mean getting a masters after undergrad to boost your gpa and get into a good PhD program, then it's not necessarily a bad idea (it depends on how you would fund your masters) and a lot of people do it.

But if you mean getting a masters to then go to a more prestigious school to get another masters... then that seems kind of pointless, as others have noted above. And I think most programs would feel the same - "why does this person want to be in our program? he already has an MA"

I have two Masters degrees, and I both agree with getting two but also disagree. I believe it is situational. In my case, I got both from the same institution, but in vastly different programs.  I am an artist, but I also have a long-term science background, which is similar to yours - my undergrad is Geography and GIS...I got an MFA in studio art, but after my second year of a three year program, I started an MA to satisfy my need to maintain an analytical academic presence.  I also knew that I wanted to pursue PhD programs that were not in art (Geography), so I needed a masters that could support such an application.  For me it has proved successful.  However in the process, I did a lot of research about second masters, as for a brief time I considered doing my second at a different institution than my MFA. I can tell you that PhD programs will highly question why you pursued a second masters in a related field.  They will question why you did not move on to a PhD if you got decent grades in your first masters program.  They will also see all your transcripts from all programs you complete (or not complete for that matter), and a second masters does not make up for anything you do in your first masters, as a masters potentially could with an undergrad.  And if you do a second masters in an unrelated field and then move directly on to a PhD program, they will question this time spent (as you should too) if it does not directly apply to the PhD program you are wanting to get in to.  In my case, both my degrees assist me well in my PhD applications because my MA is Geography based, and my MFA is rooted in my Geography practice - my studio art employs in a non-analytical way the principles of geography, and is highly community engagement based. 

While I can relate to the motivation to think more is better, and in some cases it can be, I feel you would be best served to potentially rethink your strategy so that admissions committees for PhD schools don't end up questioning your work...they can potentially read a situation such as this that the applicant is unfocused and non-committal, rather than over-achieving.    Also take into account that you could easily become burnt out moving from one masters to another to a PhD... that could result in about 8-10 years of continuous hard core school.  Masters level work is no joke...its not a PhD, but it certainly isn't an undergrad.  The mantra of 'work smarter not harder' would be best applied in cases such as this. I would say you might consider doing your best to get the highest grades possible in your grad work, and maybe do a related grad certificate to support your application to PhDs if you are concerned that just a masters won't do the job.  

best of luck!

also, just because you get good grades in a masters program does not mean you will get in to a prestigious PhD program. Most PhD programs are extremely competitive, especially the higher ranked ones.  They don't just look at grades, they look at activity as well...publications, conferences, etc, and even that doesn't always do it.  Concentrate on getting in the best masters program you can, getting the best grades you can, writing good papers, and solidifying your place in the field as best you can.  You might also think about looking at programs that offer masters in passing, normally meaning that you receive a masters as a requirement before moving on to a PhD. Depending on the field, many but not all still work this way. Often times they will consider applicants with either a grad degree in a related or other field, or even an undergrad. They usually see this as a sort of a preparation for moving on to the PhD.  You are normally enrolled as a PhD student, but if at the end of your masters in passing, if they do not feel you meet the standards of moving on, you are awarded your Masters but do not continue on. I do know many people that have been in these programs very successfully and quite a few are also pretty competitive.  Sometimes funding can work a bit different, so make sure to find that out.

Edited by flyingewe

I really don't understand why you would want two master's degrees. For something like a master's in GIS, no one really seems to care (on the job market) where you got the master's. They're far more interested in your GIS skills and abilities than they are in the name of the university on the degree. Given that, why would anyone get two of those? Especially since they are often unfunded unless completed as part of a geography degree...

You have yet to provide anyone with a clear explanation of why you want two master's degrees. What purpose will having two master's serve? Will it help you get a job or enter into a career that would otherwise be inaccessible? Highly unlikely. The opportunity cost of doing two is likely quite large once you factor everything in.

I really don't understand why you would want two master's degrees. For something like a master's in GIS, no one really seems to care (on the job market) where you got the master's. They're far more interested in your GIS skills and abilities than they are in the name of the university on the degree. Given that, why would anyone get two of those? Especially since they are often unfunded unless completed as part of a geography degree...

You have yet to provide anyone with a clear explanation of why you want two master's degrees. What purpose will having two master's serve? Will it help you get a job or enter into a career that would otherwise be inaccessible? Highly unlikely. The opportunity cost of doing two is likely quite large once you factor everything in.

Thanks for answering. If I did get two masters they would be in completely different areas. One idea I have been having is doing a masters in GIS, MIS or something technical, and then after some years get my MBA to get into a higher position in management. How does that sound. Is that clear enough?

I have two Masters degrees, and I both agree with getting two but also disagree. I believe it is situational. In my case, I got both from the same institution, but in vastly different programs.  I am an artist, but I also have a long-term science background, which is similar to yours - my undergrad is Geography and GIS...I got an MFA in studio art, but after my second year of a three year program, I started an MA to satisfy my need to maintain an analytical academic presence.  I also knew that I wanted to pursue PhD programs that were not in art (Geography), so I needed a masters that could support such an application.  For me it has proved successful.  However in the process, I did a lot of research about second masters, as for a brief time I considered doing my second at a different institution than my MFA. I can tell you that PhD programs will highly question why you pursued a second masters in a related field.  They will question why you did not move on to a PhD if you got decent grades in your first masters program.  They will also see all your transcripts from all programs you complete (or not complete for that matter), and a second masters does not make up for anything you do in your first masters, as a masters potentially could with an undergrad.  And if you do a second masters in an unrelated field and then move directly on to a PhD program, they will question this time spent (as you should too) if it does not directly apply to the PhD program you are wanting to get in to.  In my case, both my degrees assist me well in my PhD applications because my MA is Geography based, and my MFA is rooted in my Geography practice - my studio art employs in a non-analytical way the principles of geography, and is highly community engagement based. 

While I can relate to the motivation to think more is better, and in some cases it can be, I feel you would be best served to potentially rethink your strategy so that admissions committees for PhD schools don't end up questioning your work...they can potentially read a situation such as this that the applicant is unfocused and non-committal, rather than over-achieving.    Also take into account that you could easily become burnt out moving from one masters to another to a PhD... that could result in about 8-10 years of continuous hard core school.  Masters level work is no joke...its not a PhD, but it certainly isn't an undergrad.  The mantra of 'work smarter not harder' would be best applied in cases such as this. I would say you might consider doing your best to get the highest grades possible in your grad work, and maybe do a related grad certificate to support your application to PhDs if you are concerned that just a masters won't do the job.  

best of luck!

also, just because you get good grades in a masters program does not mean you will get in to a prestigious PhD program. Most PhD programs are extremely competitive, especially the higher ranked ones.  They don't just look at grades, they look at activity as well...publications, conferences, etc, and even that doesn't always do it.  Concentrate on getting in the best masters program you can, getting the best grades you can, writing good papers, and solidifying your place in the field as best you can.  You might also think about looking at programs that offer masters in passing, normally meaning that you receive a masters as a requirement before moving on to a PhD. Depending on the field, many but not all still work this way. Often times they will consider applicants with either a grad degree in a related or other field, or even an undergrad. They usually see this as a sort of a preparation for moving on to the PhD.  You are normally enrolled as a PhD student, but if at the end of your masters in passing, if they do not feel you meet the standards of moving on, you are awarded your Masters but do not continue on. I do know many people that have been in these programs very successfully and quite a few are also pretty competitive.  Sometimes funding can work a bit different, so make sure to find that out.

Thanks for the informative response! I gained a lot out of this. I think I should just focus on one for now, but I think after I get an MS in GIS (or MIS or another technical field) I will get an MBA so I can move up in whatever firm I am working for. An MBA could help me get a job in management from what I know. I think that combination could be valuable. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I wouldn't get two masters in similar fields: like getting a MS in Finance and then doing an MBA, that seems odd to me and to most others.

Thanks for answering. If I did get two masters they would be in completely different areas. One idea I have been having is doing a masters in GIS, MIS or something technical, and then after some years get my MBA to get into a higher position in management. How does that sound. Is that clear enough?

Thanks for clearing that up...