Re-submitting previous statement of purpose

Hello,

I'm re-applying to a Masters in Family & Couples Therapy program again for the second time (rejected last year). This may sound stupid however I'm unsure what is correct.

The outline for the letter is exactly the same as last years application- I'm wondering if I can use a lot of what I used in my old statement again for my new letter?

Do Universities keep old applications?  Obviously it wouldn't be verbatim however theres a lot that I cannot re-write as only a year has gone by.

Any suggestions help!

Thanks

C

I think it's fine that you use some of the information in your old SOP, but I'd be sure to give it a major update and revision. Add in stuff you've done in the past year to further prepare for the program, make sure you don't have any silly mistakes from your previous application cycle, and edit the crap out of the SOP to make it sound amazing.

This would be my concern...if you were rejected last year and you send them essentially the same (or very close to the same) SOP, how is that going to help your chances this year? Make sure you show growth between now and then.

Best of luck!

This would be my concern...if you were rejected last year and you send them essentially the same (or very close to the same) SOP, how is that going to help your chances this year? Make sure you show growth between now and then.

Best of luck!

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read the original post. If you didn't get in with that SOP before, why use it again? Sure, your goals and research interests probably haven't changed but you should change the rest of it so that you come across as a more compelling candidate this time around, CBHH.