ASA annual meeting

Lev Bronstein

I'm going. It'll be my first time and I'm such a nerd that I already made a whole schedule for myself of all the sessions I want to check out. Now if only I could see other people's schedules so I know where I should hang around to casually bump into the professors I want to meet... :lol:

I will be there despite not being in the program (didn't realize the submission deadline was so early... next year). Mainly going for the networking value, although the opportunity to pick up free and cheap books, software demos, and food is a big plus. And it's an excuse to visit SF! There's a lot of cheap hotels around the conference site this year, too - it really shouldn't be too expensive...

Free books? Sweet! How does that work? I've never been to an academic conference before (just lots of horrid corporate ones), so I have no idea what to expect. Any tips for a newbie?

• 2 weeks later...
I will be there despite not being in the program (didn't realize the submission deadline was so early... next year). Mainly going for the networking value, although the opportunity to pick up free and cheap books, software demos, and food is a big plus. And it's an excuse to visit SF! There's a lot of cheap hotels around the conference site this year, too - it really shouldn't be too expensive...

I'm jump starting a mid life switch. It's been recommended I go to SF to network.

My daughter (senior in high school) wants to check out a school so we will both be going.

It seems I can just show up and pay my money (hopefully I can get by with the $130).

Tell me I'm crazy.

Anyone up for a grad cafe drink one evening?

Coffee during the day. Beer at night (preferably off sale - cheaper that way). (My friend wrote a song about the beverage elevator - Coffee going up - Beer coming down.)

Why only one evening?

I wonder what my business card for the ASA annual meeting should look like since I am not yet a graduate student? I'm not a Ph.D. candidate yet; I'm going to be applying to schools for 2010. I need to network.

Should I make up something with just my name, contact information and have some heading like "Graduate School or Bust"?

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what my business card for the ASA annual meeting should look like since I am not yet a graduate student? I'm not a Ph.D. candidate yet; I'm going to be applying to schools for 2010. I need to network.

Should I make up something with just my name, contact information and have some heading like "Graduate School or Bust"?

Business cards? Really? If you don't have anything you could put on the card than I probably wouldn't make one. It is just going to emphasize that you are there to suck up. Pardon my bluntness..

I might be, depending on when people want to meet up. I don't arrive until tomorrow morning though, and I've got plans tomorrow night (also Saturday, but not til much later, so that's doable). If someone wants to pick a time and a place, I'm happy to tag along and would love to meet some folks.