2015 Admissions General

Congrats! Funny that you seemed to have lost all hope around this time last week. 

Yes, well I don't deal well with stress, and having the results search, though useful, can easily add to the stress when used too much.

meep, no word from Berkeley.  congrats to those that did get in. in any case, I already committed to a visit during March 8-10 so wouldn't be able to attend Berkeley's even if they did want me...

any word on funding from Berkeley?  UCLA gave $20k for 9 month school year, is it the same for UCB?

Edited by frsp

meep, no word from Berkeley.  congrats to those that did get in. in any case, I already committed to a visit during March 8-10 so wouldn't be able to attend Berkeley's even if they did want me...

any word on funding from Berkeley?  UCLA gave $20k for 9 month school year, is it the same for UCB?

Yep, UCB offered $20k for 9 months, with some optional summer support. No TA/RA work in the first year either, which is nice. 

So far at all the places I have gotten into the funding package is almost exactly the same. Around $20-23k per year, opportunity for summer support, TA job. UW and Michigan offered "signing bonuses", which is nice.

In case anyone is interested, I emailed the Graduate Coordinator for UW Madison and she said that all available funded offers for the Stat PhD have been given out already. Of course, some may become available depending on the response rate but it seems like a remote possibility for those still waiting to hear from them. 

Also, congrats to MLHopeful on the stellar results!

Would you call the phone conversation an interview? I was scheduled a call with a professor at Michigan Biostat last weekend and he said that funding is going to be decided within the next couple of weeks. Also, the amount of people that get funding seemed to be really vague. In his words "5, 10, 20" students get funded and there around 60 MS students apparently. 

I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard any funding decisions from Michigan yet.

Kind of? Probably closer to an informational conversation. My case is also a little unorthodox because they wanted to talk about why I switched fields. And no, gb2015, I just got a phone call around 4ish Tuesday asking if I could talk.

I was sent an email from the faculty member, asking me to arrange a time that weekend to have a phone talk with him. It was like an informative greeting but the funding situation was brought up a couple times. I was asked if I had any prior research experience with statistics (I didn't) and after my answer he said that in that case, if I were to be awarded funding it would probably be as a GSI rather than a GSRA. 

Also in case you were wondering if the visit day includes travel reimbursements, it is if they award you funding. All we can really do is wait I guess. 

Alright I just received a phone call from another Michigan biostat faculty member and they just finished deciding on who gets funded today. Very lucky to be guaranteed funding! I think everyone should be hearing from them soon. 

I've seen quite a few Michigan acceptances on the results page. Are this all for biostats or has anyone been accepted to the statistics phd?

I'm still waiting for my result too. Judging by last year's acceptances and rejections, they really space out their decisions. Trying not to get too anxious about it, but it's kind of my first choice.

Has anyone else here heard from Boston University (Biostat PhD)?  I had a phone interview about 10 days ago and haven't heard anything since.  They said that decisions would be out either last week or this week... getting so anxious as this is my top choice! 

I applied to Iowa State, which is my top choice considering that Texas A&M seems impossible, and I have not received a reply. This was the only one PhD program that I applied because the head of the Department suggested I was a competitive candidate. Should I consider that I was not admitted to Iowa State or wait a little longer?  I am going to OSU this week, and it might be a good opportunity to accept their offer.

Also, for those going to OSU, we should meet.

I applied to Iowa State, which is my top choice considering that Texas A&M seems impossible, and I have not received a reply. This was the only one PhD program that I applied because the head of the Department suggested I was a competitive candidate. Should I consider that I was not admitted to Iowa State or wait a little longer?  I am going to OSU this week, and it might be a good opportunity to accept their offer.

Also, for those going to OSU, we should meet.

I don't think anyone has heard back from Iowa State yet, so it's probably worth waiting for. I would be very surprised if OSU would not grant you an extension pending acceptance to a program, so it may be worth asking to see if that is possible. I doubt you would have to wait longer than a week or two in order to hear back from Iowa State.