2015 Admissions General

Thank you, ar_rf, excellent suggestions. Unfortunately, though, I can NOT afford the cost. I have to get three kids through college, and they have priority. As a parent, I am supposed to bring money in, not take it out.

I am hoping my part-time work experience may help (stats adjunct at a local college).

I called the the AMSC department at UMD  to find out that the first round of acceptances have been sent out via email earlier this week.  Sadly, I wasn't included. :(  Let's hope GW pulls through with funding because otherwise I'll be completely shut out this year.

Ugh... I am a nervous wreck. This is taking so long!

I am tied to New Jersey so I only applied to two programs, both at Rutgers. Statistics (my preferred) in New Brunswick, and math in Newark. I only decided to try and get into the PhD programs in December, and took the GRE a week later. I couldn't take the math subject since it was not offered until April, and thus could not apply to the New Brunswick math program (or any other math programs in New Jersey).

I never realized how much anxiety this would cause me; it's driving me crazy! I noticed that last year the stats department did their acceptances/rejections at the end of February. The year before that at the start of February. So I kind of expected a response sometime in February, and have been checking several times a day. It is getting close to the end of February now, and I feel it's got to be any day now...

Penn State and Texas A&M have fairly intensive online masters programs. I know A&M's has largely the same coursework as the in-person degree. Maybe it's not exactly what you want to do, but it seems like a solid alternative if you can't attend a PhD program in New Jersey.

I called the the AMSC department at UMD  to find out that the first round of acceptances have been sent out via email earlier this week.  Sadly, I wasn't included. :(  Let's hope GW pulls through with funding because otherwise I'll be completely shut out this year.

That's unfortunate.  I applied to that program with a private full funding source, so I thought maybe I would have a decent shot of getting an offer.

I wrote to the Vice Chair at UCLA and he said that I am waitlisted and that it will take 1-2 months for a "favourable" decision. I don't think I would want to wait that long. In case any of you are still waiting to hear from UCLA, it might help to ask them about your status.

I wrote to the Vice Chair at UCLA and he said that I am waitlisted and that it will take 1-2 months for a "favourable" decision. I don't think I would want to wait that long. In case any of you are still waiting to hear from UCLA, it might help to ask them about your status.

I did the same. He pointed out that any applicant who has not heard by now is on the waitlist, so I guess spare the professor another email! :)

I applied last year and was in the same position -- waitlisted and eventually rejected on April 16th. I would bet you (and I, since I also haven't heard anything yet this cycle) are on their waitlist this year. I wouldn't hold your breath, but there's always hope!

Hi, Portmanteaujam. I have seen that you got acceptance to Northwestern. Is it PhD in Statistics? Do you get the offer after an interview?

@zhangr100 I got waitlisted at UChicago yesterday after business hours. Not sure if they rank the wait list or if it's a random holding cell for the "on the bubble" applicants.

It looks like they've spaced out the admits, rejections, and waitlist in batches. So a lack of response from them does not necessarily constitute a rejection. Best of luck!

Edited by washcross15

Hi, Portmanteaujam. I have seen that you got acceptance to Northwestern. Is it PhD in Statistics? Do you get the offer after an interview?

I didn't really ever have an interview -- just received unofficial notification of admission to the Statistics PhD program over the phone a couple of days ago. I haven't received a formal offer yet, and I don't believe anyone has.

Edited by Portmanteaujam

@zhangr100 I got waitlisted at UChicago yesterday after business hours. Not sure if they rank the wait list or if it's a random holding cell for the "on the bubble" applicants.

It looks like they've spaced out the admits, rejections, and waitlist in batches. So a lack of response from them does not necessarily constitute a rejection. Best of luck!

Thank you, washcross15! I think there will be a result next week. Hope that you will get off the waitlist soon!

I didn't really ever have an interview -- just received unofficial notification of admission to the Statistics PhD program over the phone a couple of days ago. I haven't received a formal offer yet, and I don't believe anyone has.

Thanks for your sharing, Portmanteaujam! I emailed the Director before and he said they will typically interview before giving an offer. It seems like that is not exactly true. I have seen some interviews given by Northwestern but no offers yet. 

Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself! Did you interview?

No, I got nothing from them. I don't know if there is still a chance or not. There are few information about this school.

Hey everyone! I needed kind of an opinion on which University is better for a PhD in Statistics: NCSU or UIUC. I have got an admit from both with full funding. I am an international student and all my reasoning is localised to information on the websites for comparison. Any help on this is appreciated!

Hey everyone! I needed kind of an opinion on which University is better for a PhD in Statistics: NCSU or UIUC. I have got an admit from both with full funding. I am an international student and all my reasoning is localised to information on the websites for comparison. Any help on this is appreciated!

[Emphasis mine.]

I recommend trying as hard as you can to investigate further. Contact professors at both departments. Ask them what they're working on. Do these topics sound interesting to you? Ask them what their previous PhD students have gone on to do after earning their PhDs. Do you find those career paths interesting? Ask about how the structure of the programs and curricula are designed to get students involved in research. Do the environments sound like places that will be conducive to your success?

Contact students at both departments. Ask them what the culture is like, what the surrounding area is like. Ask them what they do for fun. Ask them what they do to support one another when times get tough.

I don't know anything about UIUC, but I did visit NCSU during their admitted students weekend. I really enjoyed it, but more importantly I found that interacting with students and faculty gave a much more complete picture of the department than just what the website can convey. In this day and age with e-mail, phone and skype, there's no reason you shouldn't try to contact the members of each department and get a sense of the sort of people you'd be spending the next 4-5 years of your life with.

For anyone waiting on Rutgers, you're probably accepted. I got an email saying they were "considering making an offer for PhD admission," and asked if I was interested (outlining the amount of financial support). Good luck to all.

Still waiting on Rutgers. Didn't get such an email, though... what makes you think we're probably accepted?

My anxiety is through the roof right now.

Congrats, by the way!

Edited by Ellies

Thanks a lot! I'm guessing because they rejected some people over the last couple days, so I figured they would have rejected everyone who they weren't seriously considering. As an update, I was emailed back saying an official letter would come soon. Good luck to you! I probably will decline the offer after consideration, but the financial support is very good and the program seems very quaint so I am considering for the time being.

Thanks footballman. Good to see you got a nice offer! The suspense is killing me at the moment; I must have checked the website 1000 times since the rejections on Monday. I continue to be on "No decision".

I guess if I'd been accepted I would have had an email by now too. I have not. So.... I am either in the next pile of rejections, or on some internal waiting list.

Edited by Ellies

Well I am 100% sure I will be declining now. I received an offer with a fellowship to Purdue and will likely be accepting! Hopefully doing that will put you in the admits list.

On that note, does anyone have any comments on Purdue? I know it is a big department (like A&M and PSU), and the placements appear to be good. It is ranked really well (17th excluding biostats programs). Is it worth going from a program ranked 10th excluding biostats programs (A&M) to Purdue if I was awarded a fellowship? My first reaction would be absolutely, but I'm trying not to let greed cloud my judgment. I would appreciate inputs from anyone.

Well I am 100% sure I will be declining now. I received an offer with a fellowship to Purdue and will likely be accepting! Hopefully doing that will put you in the admits list.

On that note, does anyone have any comments on Purdue? I know it is a big department (like A&M and PSU), and the placements appear to be good. It is ranked really well (17th excluding biostats programs). Is it worth going from a program ranked 10th excluding biostats programs (A&M) to Purdue if I was awarded a fellowship? My first reaction would be absolutely, but I'm trying not to let greed cloud my judgment. I would appreciate inputs from anyone.

Congratulations! How many years is the fellowship?

I think you're interpreting rankings too literally, they're more like clusters. Plus or minus a few positions doesn't really mean much. No one is going to look at your degree and worry about 5 points on the US news ranking. A&M and Purdue are very comparable schools.

Edited by TenuousAtBest

Congratulations! How many years is the fellowship?

I think you're interpreting rankings too literally, they're more like clusters. Plus or minus a few positions doesn't really mean much. No one is going to look at your degree and worry about 5 points on the US news ranking. A&M and Purdue are very comparable schools.

Thanks! It's for 3 years and worth $25k, so pretty generous especially for very low-cost Lafayette, IN.

That's exactly what my interpretation was as well about the rankings. Plus I feel the criteria used are a little arbitrary.