2015 Admissions General

Maybe you're on their ordered waitlist. They emailed me a few days ago telling me I was waitlisted and asked if I was still interested in the program.

I also got an email from UCLA a few days ago about whether still interested in their Ph.D. program. I replied and haven't heard anything from them at this time. I have another offer and that requires my decision until Apr. 15th. Hope to hear from them soon.

Maybe at the end of August. How about you?

Likewise -- probably late August - early September. I was really hoping to be there for the NW'ern-Stanford football game on September 5th. I absolutely can't wait to leave the Bay Area. How are you going about finding housing? Wanna take offline and talk via PM?

Likewise -- probably late August - early September. I was really hoping to be there for the NW'ern-Stanford football game on September 5th. I absolutely can't wait to leave the Bay Area. How are you going about finding housing? Wanna take offline and talk via PM?

Sure. PM sent. : )

Hi everyone, I got an email from Vice Chair at UCLA. They will make their decision after Apr. 15th. So, I don't think those who have offers will wait. 

It is f**king wierd

April 15th and no word from Maryland.  :(

Scratch that...I found the acceptance letter in my inbox this morning :D!  This goes to show that it is possible to be taken off the waitlist this late in the game.  The deadline to let them know is this Friday.    

Edited by kgbfan

kgbfan, that's AWESOME! Congratulations!! I take it that's where you'll be going?

Thank you!  I'm actually not 100% sure.  I actually give the details delineating the pros and cons in this thread:

What would you do in my situation?

Edited by kgbfan

Thank you!  I'm actually not 100% sure.  I actually give the details delineating the pros and cons in this thread:

What would you do in my situation?

I would go for Maryland! I gave my reasoning on the other thread.

So UConn finally got back to me and I was accepted. Kind of weird that they would wait a day after decision day. Maybe they have funding issues?

I assume people with offers let them lapse, and since it's the day after, they may have sent you one of those offers. I know you're already going elsewhere, but congrats anyway! :)

So UConn finally got back to me and I was accepted. Kind of weird that they would wait a day after decision day. Maybe they have funding issues?

Accepted to 7 Phd programs...not too shabby!  Congratulations!

sI would go for Maryland! I gave my reasoning on the other thread.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!  I've decided to I'm going to Maryland after all. :D

Hi all, I will be attending Northwestern as well!  :)

Ryan123, Portmanteaujam, let me know if you want to PM!

Yes, please. We should add each other on facebook. Could you pm your name ?

Hi guys!

I was sucessfully admitted to PhD Mathematics at SUNY binghamton, It was the only acceptance between the five applications that I sent; so I accepted their offer with TA estipend of $16.500 + Tuition-Waiver.

However, I have received an unexpected offer from the university of Western Ontario, the TA stipend is $36.000 CAD. I am really confused if It will be better to attend at WO than SUNY bing, what would you do? it is possible to accept an offer from SUNY and then declined?

Thanks!

Hi guys!

I was sucessfully admitted to PhD Mathematics at SUNY binghamton, It was the only acceptance between the five applications that I sent; so I accepted their offer with TA estipend of $16.500 + Tuition-Waiver.

However, I have received an unexpected offer from the university of Western Ontario, the TA stipend is $36.000 CAD. I am really confused if It will be better to attend at WO than SUNY bing, what would you do? it is possible to accept an offer from SUNY and then declined?

Thanks!

Most schools follow the guidelines set down by the April 15th Resolution, which you can read here. The relevant portion:

However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made. Similarly, an offer by an institution after April 15 is conditional on presentation by the student of the written release from any previously accepted offer.

Edited by ar_rf

So I ended up in a kind of silly situaiton...applied to 7 schools for an MA/MS in Biostatistics, when really my intent was to just go to a midranked one.  I wanted to see how I would do with the other schools for shits and giggles. 

I applied to Buffalo, Albany, Pittsburgh, Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley, and Harvard.  Buffalo was my school of choice.  I ended up getting into all of them aside from Berkeley.  The most surprising of course was Harvard.  Michigan and Buffalo were the only schools who looked like they would consider funding at the Master's level, but I did not receive anything.  That being said, to get my Master's I will need to take on a load of debt to complement my modest ~$10k from undergrad.

Since I'm a NY resident, Buffalo (and Albany, but thats not really being considered now) are the cheapest options by far.  2 years there will run me about $25k, plus a very low cost of living.  Everywhere else is going to be $40k+, with Harvard being $60k+.  Thats without even considering living expenses, which would be much higher in the Harvard or UCLA area than it would be in Bufflao or Ann Arbor.  My career goals at the moment are to get my Masters and go to industry.  If my intent was to pursue a PhD, it would be hard to justify not attending Harvard.  But since my plans are elsewhere oriented, I feel like it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend the excess money on the Master's especially when Im browsing employment stats and it seems like entry level jobs across the country start at similar base salaries.  I know the higher ranked schools will potentially have more connections and obviously come with a higher level of prestige, but at the same time I feel like if I get my degree in Buffalo and stick around I could develop a pretty good network to start off with.  But then I also think people try so hard to get into Harvard all the time and then I get in and I'm really cavalier about it. 

Anyways, tl;dr version - got into Harvard by 'accident' for Biostats MA.  My top choose is Buffalo because of financial reasons.  Everyone I talk to says I'm crazy, but I do actually like Buffalo's program.  Anyone have any insights/comments?

How do you know the biostatistics program in Albany? I found very limit inoformaiton for its previous gradatute students so that I cannot decide whether it is a worthy program to go for PHD study.