2015 Admissions General

Honestly I just found it by happenstance as I was looking for SUNY schools I could go to in order to get in-state tuition in New York.  The program itself doesn't seem to be too remarkable, and is apparently ranked right alongside SUNY Buffalo.  The cool thing about it is that since it is based in the capital of NY, there seem to be some ties to the Department of Health there which could lead to some potentially interesting working relationships and consulting.  But unless you have ties to the Albany area, the program does not seem to really stand out much and would probably be better suited to a back up school.  I also think it is fairly new. 

Edited by trigga

@trigga congrats on your acceptances. Tough call indeed. Your thought process seems really clear... My $.02 is that it might be worth taking the extra debt for a Harvard Master's n biostats. Having an MS or MPH from the #1 biostats department in the country is something that I think will give you a real boost in terms of job prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be attending NCSU in their Stats PhD Program!  I couldn't be more excited. 

Me too for NCSU Stats PhD! Can't wait!

econ_to_stats and Kiran, do you know whether the incoming class has been finalized yet? I was waitlisted in January and still haven't heard a peep despite sending a few emails.

econ_to_stats and Kiran, do you know whether the incoming class has been finalized yet? I was waitlisted in January and still haven't heard a peep despite sending a few emails.

Well, I am not really sure but I think it has been given the frequency of communications from the department post 15th April. I understand waiting can be hard. Try writing to the DGPs or any senior authority. Good Luck!

Well, I am not really sure but I think it has been given the frequency of communications from the department post 15th April. I understand waiting can be hard. Try writing to the DGPs or any senior authority. Good Luck!

I have done so, as well as leaving multiple voicemails. The utter lack of communication from the University is mind boggling.

Well, it took 11 attempts to contact them before I finally was informed that application decisions were complete and was thanked for my patience.

Best of luck to those who were accepted.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally heard from the Rutgers Newark math department last week. I was told they were interested, but they only offer their courses every other year since they are a small program, and this year they weren't offering the first year courses. So they delayed my application until the fall of 2016.

Since I do not want to wait a year, I confirmed my attendance at the statistics program in New Brunswick.

I finally heard from the Rutgers Newark math department last week. I was told they were interested, but they only offer their courses every other year since they are a small program, and this year they weren't offering the first year courses. So they delayed my application until the fall of 2016.

Since I do not want to wait a year, I confirmed my attendance at the statistics program in New Brunswick.

Were you offered funding?  I remember you mentioned that you were on the waitlist for funding and was considering going even if it wasn't offered.  Either way, congratulations!!!

Were you offered funding? I remember you mentioned that you were on the waitlist for funding and was considering going even if it wasn't offered. Either way, congratulations!!!

Thanks, kgbfan. I am still waitlisted for funding, which is why I was hoping for an offer from the math department. I do prefer to go into the stats program, but I don't like that I may have to pay for it. Last I heard was that there is still a possibility for funding.

For right now, I am just going to assume I will have to find the money for the first year. Then if I do get funded, it will be a bonus!

Edited by Ellies

• 5 months later...

A late update, three months into my first semester. In the end, I received half funding for this semester and will be fully funded from the spring semester onwards. I am very happy albeit very tired; the program is a lot of work. But I am enjoying it a lot, and feel like I learned an incredible amount in a very short time!