What do I do???

I need some advice before I go any further with my education. Right now I'm at University of Louisiana and I have 2 semesters left until I finish my Bachelors in CJUS. I have a 3.984 GPA I wanted to get my masters because I figured whenever I got ready to apply for a job it'd be easier. Then I though, I may as well just get my PhD so I can teach. When I first started the program I wanted to get into parole/probation. But I found that just about every state requires that you go through police academy or some variation of that in order to be a PO. Which would've been fine...until last year. Last year I fell out of my truck thanks to the snow. I have permanent damage in my foot. I can't run, basically it hurts all of the time, but I didn't want to just quit school when I'd done so much already. So, with that said, I gave up on the whole PO thing, even though I really want to do that, but circumstances made it impossible. Then, I figured I'd go ahead and add a minor (Psych) as a backup, so I did that. I decided to try to get my masters because I know you can do adjunct teaching with a MA. To be honest---I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know what fields I would have a chance in working in. I don't know if the job market all together is just so bad that I may not find employment at all. I thought I could get my PhD and go teach as well. I even thought about going to law school. I just don't know what to do anymore. I want to go as far as I can, but I need to know what job opportunities will be there. Any advice any of you guys have to offer is much appreciated. Thank you! :)

Take a year off after you finish your bachelors. Find out what you want out of your life and do some introspection/live your life. Don't rush into any more education on a whim.

Thank you for your advice. My worst problem is worrying about job prospects or what types of jobs I'd be a candidate for if I don't take my education to the next level.

Edited by melissa9111

Guest criminologist

Just having a bachelor's in criminology/criminal justice is worthless if you are looking to do anything other than start an entry-level position in the criminal justice system or go to graduate school. However, working in the CJ system doesn't even require a specific degree for the most part and most agencies over value work experience and under value education. No one will care that you have a near 4.0 GPA they will treat you the same as someone with a 2.5, it will not give you any advantage in getting a job and I say this from experience.

You have a high GPA, that demonstrates academic potential so make use of it--If I were you i'd go to a master's program right after that is intended to prepare students to work in CJ research but also go into PhD programs, but make sure it is funded with an assistantship and from a reputable university, also it'll give you time to think if you want to do a PhD.

Edited by criminologist

I am going to message you for further information about this; I hope you don't mind. 

Just having a bachelor's in criminology/criminal justice is worthless if you are looking to do anything other than start an entry-level position in the criminal justice system or go to graduate school. However, working in the CJ system doesn't even require a specific degree for the most part and most agencies over value work experience and under value education. No one will care that you have a near 4.0 GPA they will treat you the same as someone with a 2.5, it will not give you any advantage in getting a job and I say this from experience.

You have a high GPA, that demonstrates academic potential so make use of it--If I were you i'd go to a master's program right after that is intended to prepare students to work in CJ research but also go into PhD programs, but make sure it is funded with an assistantship and from a reputable university, also it'll give you time to think if you want to do a PhD.