What to Expect & Wear for 'Invited Students Weekend'

untrachel

Hi

I was invited by two universities to come for 2-3 days for campus tours, meeting professors, city tours and a party. They didn't describe it as an interview, they just made it sound like a meet & greet sort of thing. Should I treat this like essentially a multi-day informal interview? I haven't been told that I am accepted, so I have to assume that this is part of the decision making process, no? Has anyone gone to one of these sorts of things before? If so, what was it like?

Most importantly, I have no idea what to wear! I'm a field biologist so I basically live in hiking boots, hiking pants and a t-shirt. I'm guessing I should wear something fancier so I need to buy clothes. Can anyone recommend what sort of clothing a woman should wear to these sorts of things? I don't want to buy something too casual but I also don't want to appear to stilted and business-like. 

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Cheers

My university only held and event like this for admitted students, but I'm sure that the clothing expectations are similar. I wore a button-up collared blouse and a pair of nice jeans and leather shoes - in other words, what I would call business casual - and that seemed about right. One person there was wearing a suit and tie and it was definitely too much. Depending on how conservative the institution you're visiting is, I might wear dress slacks instead of jeans. Good luck!

I imagine this depends on the field you're in. In my field it's an interview. The university I'm at brings in x number of students for a few days where they interview with professors, are shown the university's facilities, we host a poster session for them, and they go out for dinner. The following day they're taken for something fun to show them the area and then there's dinner with current students and faculty.

Or you can just ask the schools. I've been invited to two similar weekends (for Chemistry) and the schools have been really open to questions. The offices at both schools said business casual with an emphasis on comfort - for all the walking! But if you're unsure, the admissions office might be the best place to ask.

Okay so then I should treat this as an interview, I suppose. I'm applying for a PhD in biology

Thanks for the advice, and especially the dress-code recommendation. 

There's a thread in the biology sub-forums with helpful information from people who've gone through the interview process.