Interview invites -- Stanford Psychology

Lighto

Hello,

Has anyone received an interview invite from Stanford University Psychology dept.? I do not mean emails from PIs, but official departmental invites for the interview weekend? If yes, has anyone received an invite from Brian Knutson's group?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I believe interview invites have gone out (or at least are going out right now). I received a phone call from a faculty member (though, interestingly not one of my 3 POI) this evening with an invite to an onsite interview the weekend of 2/21. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I believe interview invites have gone out (or at least are going out right now). I received a phone call from a faculty member (though, interestingly not one of my 3 POI) this evening with an invite to an onsite interview the weekend of 2/21. 

Thanks for sharing this info!.

Sorry if it's a little irrelevant -- I'm just wondering what are the chances of acceptance after being invited to attend the interview weekend? Like, how many applicants does Stanford invite/host and how many they end up accepting?

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments. Thanks!

Sorry if it's a little irrelevant -- I'm just wondering what are the chances of acceptance after being invited to attend the interview weekend? Like, how many applicants does Stanford invite/host and how many they end up accepting?

I'd appreciate any thoughts/comments. Thanks!

Also would appreciate knowing that...

What I do know is my main POI there told me that admission is pretty much up to your POI, and they each get about one student per year.

Edited by laminator

I think they're admitting about 3-4 new students to each of the 5 areas per year. I read somewhere that they invite about 30 students to the interview weekend, and maybe half of those are admitted? I honestly don't know... Didn't feel comfortable enough to ask anyone I talked to from the department about chances...

The Stanford psychology phd admissions website has an FAQ pdf...which specifically states that there are no departmental organized visits. From those who have been invited, was this an instance of a particularly faculty member inviting you out on his or her own?...Or what?

I think what their FAQ answer means is that they don't organize visits prior to application, not for the whole department nor for specific professors. That does not mean, however, that they don't hold interviews on site. From the entries here and on the results page, it seems like they have an interview weekend on February 20-21st for all those who made the shortlist. Not sure whether invites were sent from individual POIs or from the department, but they all invited prospective students for the same weekened, so I doubt it could be by chance...

Hope that answers your question.

The Stanford psychology phd admissions website has an FAQ pdf...which specifically states that there are no departmental organized visits. From those who have been invited, was this an instance of a particularly faculty member inviting you out on his or her own?...Or what?

I think what their FAQ answer means is that they don't organize visits prior to application, not for the whole department nor for specific professors. That does not mean, however, that they don't hold interviews on site. From the entries here and on the results page, it seems like they have an interview weekend on February 20-21st for all those who made the shortlist. Not sure whether invites were sent from individual POIs or from the department, but they all invited prospective students for the same weekened, so I doubt it could be by chance...

Hope that answers your question.

Chubberubber is correct, I believe. The email described it as a "Prospective Grad Students Weekend," and there are the usual receptions and info sessions and stuff, so it seems like a standard interview weekend. The invitations were sent directly from the POI, however (at least in my case.)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a bit of a weird question given the title of this thread, but I think I overheard someone who used to be affiliated with the program refer to the prospective students' weekend as "admit weekend". Could that be, and what would be the difference between the two (sorry, I'm an international students so the whole terminology is new to me...)