More undergrad?

B4Four2

Hi all,

Interests:

Continental Philosophy 

I'm a frequent reader of this forum, though it hasn't been for myself. I went to small christian liberal arts college in upstate in NY. I did very well in my philosophy classes, but life fell apart while I was attending school. I had a major documented bout with illness, and was only able to keep my grades up for phil. I left with a horrible 2.9 cumulative, and a 3.7 in the major. 

The school was small and did not have a strong philosophy program so I took courses from consortium schools to supplement as well as two independent studies. I then worked to help my partner at the time pay for school. I am since divorced, and have not had opportunity to return until now. Seems like a typical pre midlife crisis crisis, at 29 is not so bad. 

From my vantage point, and from what I have read on here, my best option is to take one more semester at a respected institution excel and apply to master's programs from there. I don't think I will have a legitimate shot at a PhD program, without some extra work. Boston College is the best local option for my interests but I think I would need to prove myself elsewhere before I could get in to their Masters program. 

What I'm looking for is the best way to get my foot in the door again. I have the time, I work IT and can accrue extra funds should I really need to, but the path to a Master's Program with those grades seems nil. 

I wouldn't count yourself out for a Master's program just yet. Your 3.7 GPA in philosophy is decent, If you take your time to work on a really strong writing sample, mention your illness that led to your poor GPA in your Statement of Purpose and have your letter writers also attest to that, then I think adcoms will be willing to overlook the poor cumulative GPA. Focus on the writing sample and getting good letters of recommendation; circumstances explain your GPA and I don't think you need to worry too much about it.

I wouldn't count yourself out for a Master's program just yet. Your 3.7 GPA in philosophy is decent, If you take your time to work on a really strong writing sample, mention your illness that led to your poor GPA in your Statement of Purpose and have your letter writers also attest to that, then I think adcoms will be willing to overlook the poor cumulative GPA. Focus on the writing sample and getting good letters of recommendation; circumstances explain your GPA and I don't think you need to worry too much about it.

Thanks for the kind words, 

I have yet to take the GRE. I may put hefty eggs in the GRE basket to try and make up a bit for the GPA. The best part of my current situation, is that I can live rent free for 2 years to get back in. Coming up with the best use of that time is what I'm trying to figure out now. 

Depending on the program, Masters programs tend to care less about that stuff and often don't require the GRE. They are generally unfunded though or only offer partial funding. I am finishing my MA at a mixed Humanities/Visual Studies/Critical Theory program at an arts school, and I got in with a 3.37 GPA and having transferred a bunch of times. I had a 2.7 or something ridiculous like that at my first undergraduate institution. The experience has been the best thing I could have done for my work. I raised my GPA to a 3.8 or 3.9, and because it is a fairly small program, got to work one on one with a bunch of amazing professors to develop my research and writing. Even if I still don't get into a phd program, my writing has improved enough that I feel confident taking it in a lot of different directions. 

I know that University of Chicago has its mixed Humanities program, and I think it also offers an MA in Philosophy. There are some other critical theory MAs at art schools and undergraduate institutions as well. When people say "continental philosophy," I generally think "theory." What is your focus? 

I had similar stats to yours, and I got into a funded M.A. program (note I did go back to undergrad first, but that's because I didn't major in Philosophy the first time around).  I think you could get into a Master's program with those numbers, particularly if you're not looking for funding.  The bigger problem would be securing good letters of recommendation, since it seems you are some years out of your B.A.

Besides doing more undergrad and then a Master's, you may want to consider taking a few grad classes as a non-degree-seeking student.  Admissions for such students are usually not competitive, but there may be administrative hoops to jump through.  BC's page on this subject can be found here: http://www.bc.edu/schools/gsas/academics/non-degree.html