Is this considered an interview?

lulamae

Hey, everyone. I'm pretty new to this grad process and am curious what this could mean. I received an email from a professor in the program I applied to asking if we could schedule a time to speak over the phone. She mentioned that they had reviewed applications and would love to speak with me if I was still interested in attending. She didn't use the word "interview" at all... does this mean anything or is just regular procedure to get to know applicants a little more?

Thanks!

I had a couple Skype conversations like this and, like someone said above, it seemed like they just wanted to know more about me and my interests. It was also an awesome time to ask POIs specific questions. Some of these people are getting dozens, even hundreds, of apps. I'm sure phone calls help narrow down the pool further.

Hey, everyone. I'm pretty new to this grad process and am curious what this could mean. I received an email from a professor in the program I applied to asking if we could schedule a time to speak over the phone. She mentioned that they had reviewed applications and would love to speak with me if I was still interested in attending. She didn't use the word "interview" at all... does this mean anything or is just regular procedure to get to know applicants a little more?

Thanks!

Sounds like an interview to me... I know some professors do accept students after a promising phone call (some will consider this as a preliminary interview mainly get to know you before conducting an official interview sometime later). Nevertheless, prepare for this as best as you can, have questions prepared, and who knows, your POI might just accept you right on the spot! Good luck!